History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

85 New Row, Wilson's Institution

A Category B Listed Building in Dunfermline, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0694 / 56°4'9"N

Longitude: -3.4577 / 3°27'27"W

OS Eastings: 309345

OS Northings: 687242

OS Grid: NT093872

Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PP4J

Mapcode Global: WH5QR.VQM0

Entry Name: 85 New Row, Wilson's Institution

Listing Date: 12 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 362491

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26021

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunfermline

County: Fife

Town: Dunfermline

Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Dunfermline

Description

Dated 1857. Single storey; 4-bay; rectangular-plan; detached former free school. Classical design with pedimented principle (E) elevation with flanking Doric pilasters. Sandstone ashlar facade; coursed stugged snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings elsewhere. Base course to principal elevation; eaves band to side (N and S) elevations. Architraved openings to principal elevation. Coped gables.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps up to central corniced entrance with 4-panel timber door. Flanking round-arched windows with keyblocks, pilastered jambs and projecting cills. Doric pilasters to either side of elevation support entablature. Panel to centre of pediment above inscribed 'WILSON'S INSTITUTION 1857'. Flanking outer Doric pilasters set back slightly at arrises.

S ELEVATION: 2-light mullioned window with projecting cill to each of 4 bays. Inserted entrance with cemented architrave and plain timber door to outer left.

W ELEVATION: 2-light mullioned window with projecting cill to centre.

N ELEVATION: blank.

8 and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Small ashlar stack at ridge behind pediment; pair of corniced wallhead stacks with curved shoulders to S side; cans missing.

INTERIOR: not inspected (1998).

Statement of Interest

Built as a free school by the Free Abbey Church. According to Bert McEwan it was designed by a Mr Hay. One of a pair of twin buildings (that to S rebuilt 1954) currently (1998) in use as a dance studio.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.