This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0692 / 56°4'9"N
Longitude: -3.457 / 3°27'25"W
OS Eastings: 309391
OS Northings: 687220
OS Grid: NT093872
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PPB3
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.VQZ4
Entry Name: New Row, Comely Park House, Including Boundary Wall, Walled Garden and Outhouses to North
Listing Date: 12 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362492
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26022
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
1892 remodelling of earlier structure incorporating house of 1785 with 19th century additions. 2-storey and attic; rectangular-plan; main block with single, 2-storey and 2-storey and attic additions. Incorporates Jacobean details of 1892, including pair of mullioned and transomed bay windows to principal (S) elevation flanking original entrance with open porch comprising entablature supported on Tuscan columns. Harled exterior with liberal use of polished sandstone ashlar dressings; coursed stugged sandstone porch to W and flanking bays to principal (S) elevation of main block. Base course throughout. String course above 1st floor windows and eaves cornice to principal elevation of main block. Architraved openings apart from to stugged sandstone sections. Vertical margins to angles (apart from to stugged sandstone sections), including to stacks; bracketed extended skewblocks with obelisk finials at apex at corners of main block (where roof has been raised). Crowstepped gables to main block.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance to main block; open porch comprising entablature supported on supported on pair of Tuscan columns; matching pilasters to either side of doorway; part glazed timber door with rectangular fanlight. Window above to each floor; that to attic is transomed breaking-eaves dormer with ball-finialled shaped gable comprising pair of semicircles surmounted by circle; carved plaque with central tablet flanked by scrolls over 1st floor window. Gabled flanking bays, each projecting slightly at ground and 1st floor level and surmounted by machicolated parapet, raised at centre over carved shield (that to left inscribed 'J S 1785', that to right inscribed 'W B D 1893'); 6-light mullioned and transomed window to each floor to left projecting section; that to right comprises 2 vertically adjoining canted 8-light windows; 2-light breaking-eaves mullioned window with tablet above set back over each projecting section; gable above terminates at false corniced chimney with elongated bracket at centre and ball-topped finial above. Single-storey section set back to right of main block; large 3-light mullioned window to centre; crenellated parapet to eaves, corbelled out in semicircular plan at outer right corner.
S ELEVATION: part of main block set back to outer right with later lean-to section projecting forward to ground floor (projects further with catslide roof and narrow flat-roofed section to right); window set back to right of 1st floor to main block; breaking-eaves dormer above to left with single-pitch crowstepped roof. Entrance to porch set back to outer right; panelled timber door; protective wall projects to right. Pair of bays with crowstepped gables project forward to left in line with ground-floor lean-to; irregular fenestration with stair windows to right bay; upper one opens out as glazed door onto cast-iron bridge/staircase with decorative balustrade, which projects forward giving access to walled garden to N of house. 2-storey section adjoins to left; entrance to right with 6-panel timber door and 3-pane rectangular fanlight; 1st floor window to outer left.
W ELEVATION: gable end of main block set back ; window to left of 1st floor; pair of flanking windows to attic. Single storey entrance porch with corniced parapet projects forward to left and extends to left of main building as enclosing wall to rear yard. Semicircular-plan steps up to entrance to angled bay to right; basket-arched doorway with moulded reveals and prominent keyblock; 6-panel timber door. Bracketed pilasters to either side of arch continue up through parapet, which has shaped pediment in between with carved tablet at centre. Small segmental-headed window to right return. 2-light mullioned window to left; window to left and round-arched entrance with wrought-iron gate to outer left. Angled return to far left adjoins entrance to steps up to walled garden to N.
E ELEVATION: main block of house set back behind 19th century extensions; that to right is 2-storey with window to ground floor; that to left is single storey with parapet at eaves level, crenellated and corbelled out in semircircular-plan at outer left corner.
Mainly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs with red ridge tiles. Corniced gablehead stacks to either side (E and W) of main block; that to W is corbelled out slightly with partially external flue; corniced wallhead stack to single-pitch gable to N side of main block; round cans, where existing.
INTERIOR: largely altered in 20th century. Dog-leg staircase with cast-iron balustrade.
OUTHOUSES TO N: late 18th/early 19th century lean-to range of outhouses running E/W to rear (N) of house. Harled with sandstone ashlar dressings, comprising vertical angle margins, architraves to openings and skews. 4 entrances to right of principal (S) elevation; 2 to left with window in between; pair of windows (probably inserted) to left of centre; boarded timber doors throughout.
BOUNDARY WALL: partially sandstone rubble, partially harled and coped boundary wall dating from between late 18th and late 19th centuries and of varying heights extends to N, S and E of house (encompassing its late 19th century boundaries). Pair of late 19th century sandstone ashlar gateposts to W; square plan with cornices and mounted ball finials; pair of later wrought-iron gates; pedestrian entrance to N with lintel angled at corners and wrought-iron gate.
WALLED GARDEN TO N: rectangular-plan walled garden, partially dating from late 18th/early 19th century and attaining its present form in late 19th century, exists at higher level to N of house. Tall sandstone rubble walls to N, E and W; entrance at S end of E wall. Lower-height coped harled wall to S where land falls away to lower level; entry can be gained here directly from upper level of house, via decorative cast-iron bridge and staircase; steps to E lead down to lower level.
The core of the building, a symmetrical 3-bay house, was erected in 1785 following the destruction of an earlier structure in a fire. It appears to have been extended to the N and partly to the E in the earlier to mid 19th century and had further been extended to the E and had a small lean-to added to N by 1892. This was when its roof level was raised slightly and new dormers inserted and the projecting bays added to the principal (S) elevation and the porch to the W (for Dr W B Dow). In 1927 the building was sold to the Carnegie United Kingdom Trust, which has occupied it as offices since then. At one point in the early 19th century the house belonged to Dr Robert Stenhouse, who, in 1800, carried out the first vaccinations for smallpox. See also listed building description for 'New Row, Comely Park House Sundial' (a late 18th century sundial in the grounds).
Other nearby listed buildings