This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0668 / 56°4'0"N
Longitude: -3.4571 / 3°27'25"W
OS Eastings: 309379
OS Northings: 686952
OS Grid: NT093869
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PP9V
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.VRYZ
Entry Name: Off Reid Street to E, Priory House, Formerly Dunfermline and West Fife Hospital Nurses' Home
Listing Date: 12 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362497
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26025
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Circa 1835 with late 19th and earlier 20th century additions. 2-storey and basement; 3-bay; rectangular-plan villa; extended to N and W to form E-shaped building. Original block symmetrical; Greek Revival with Doric porch. Polished sandstone ashlar principal (S) and side elevations to original block; rear elevation stugged sandstone with droved ashlar dressings; polished ashlar principal elevation to W extension; harled elsewhere; harled extensions with ashlar dressings to N. Base course; band course beneath mutuled eaves cornice to original block; architraved windows.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps up to central Greek Doric entrance porch (entablature with mutuled cornice supported on pair of fluted columns with pilasters set back flanking entrances) to main block; 2-leaf 4-panel timber door with rectangular fanlight. Flanking 3-light windows with timber mullions; cornices and aprons. Pedimented window to each bay to 1st floor; each with moulded architrave with frieze and decorative cast iron balcony. Low parapet over central bay. Late 19th century single bay extension set back slightly to left.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay to main block; corniced window with moulded architrave to each bay to ground floor. Pedimented window with moulded architrave and frieze and decorative cast iron balcony to each bay above. Earlier 20th century 3-bay extension set back to right. Earlier 20th century 8-bay section adjoins to right.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay late 19th century addition set forward from original block; gabled flanking outer bays; much altered fenestration.
N ELEVATION: slightly projecting curved bay to centre of main block; entrance (boarded) with small window to left, both probably inserted; semicircular-headed stair window above. Window to right to each floor; inserted window to left of that to 1st floor. Earlier 20th century extension adjoins at right angles to left bay. Late 19th century extension adjoins to right; cornice above coursed stugged sandstone ground floor indicates it was originally single storey.
Mainly 4-pane timber sash and case windows to principal (S and E) elevations of main block; aluminium windows to rear. Aluminium windows to later 19th/early 20th century extensions. Grey slate roofs, that to main block is piended. Pair of wallhead stacks with octagonal flues to E and W elevations; cans missing. Pair of decorative cast-iron hoppers with lion rampant and rose motifs to downpipes to principal (S) elevation.
INTERIOR: much altered as nurses' home. Stone half-turn staircase with landings and cast iron handrail to central entrance hall.
Formerly the home of Erskine Beveridge, a pioneer of mechanised weaving in Dufermline. He set up a damask linen warehouse in Priory Lane in 1833 and the St Leonard's Works in Bothwell Street from 1850 onwards. He was also a notable reformer and the house became a meeting place for advocates of political and social reform.
Other nearby listed buildings