This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0679 / 56°4'4"N
Longitude: -3.4621 / 3°27'43"W
OS Eastings: 309070
OS Northings: 687084
OS Grid: NT090870
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PN52
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.SRK4
Entry Name: 1 Moodie Street, Old Kirk House (Former Abbey Church Manse), Including Gateway and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 12 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362501
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26028
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
1814-16; altered and enlarged 1836 with later alterations. 2-storey and attic and basement; 3-bay; L-plan (including wing added in 1836); detached former manse. Classical design with slightly advanced pedimented central bay and flanking columns to main entrance to principal (S) elevation; droved sandstone ashlar principal elevation; coursed sandstone rubble with droved ashlar dressings elsewhere. Base course to principal and side (E and W) elevations of original block; moulded eaves cornice to principal elevation. Architraved windows to principal and side elevations of original block. Coped gables. V-jointed quoins to original block.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance to slightly advanced pedimented central bay; flanking Doric columns support entablature; 4-panel timber door with replacement rectangular fanlight. Flanking windows to ground and 1st floor and one above; those to ground floor have been enlarged to 2-light mullioned windows; cast iron-balconies to outer 1st floor windows. Piended dormer to centre; flanking piended polygonal dormers (all additions). Basement window to outer left.
W ELEVATION: conservatory (dated 1998) added to right of ground floor; entered through existing opening. Window to left and one above to 1st floor and attic; that to 1st floor with cast-iron balcony; that to attic blocked.
E ELEVATION: window to right of centre of original block to ground and 1st floor. Additional window to right to ground floor. Central window (blocked) to attic. 2 ground floor windows to wing adjoining to right; window to left of 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: 1st floor window to right of original block. Blank end wall of wing projects to left side. Wing stepped out with catslide roof to re-entrant. Entrance with boarded timber door and narrow side window to section stepped out; window above. 2 windows (one small) to ground floor of right return of wing; one to 1st floor.
Mainly 4 and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof (piended to wing). Corniced gablehead stacks to either side (E and W) of original block; round cans.
INTERIOR: most original internal features replaced, including staircase with timber balustrade (probably later 19th century).
GATEWAY AND BOUNDARY WALL: pair of square plan gatepiers to NE of house. Polished V-jointed ashlar to E (road); coursed stugged sandstone to inner face. Both with moulded cornice and pyramid coping. Pedestrian gateway to S. All gates boarded timber replacements. Sandstone rubble boundary wall to property; with rounded ashlar coping to E side. Adjoins remains of boundary wall of Dunfermline Abbey to N and its lower gateway to NE. Victorian letterbox inserted in wall to N of gateway. Grounds subdivided by low coped wall surmounted by cast-iron railings; cast-iron gate incorporating quatrefoil motifs to centre. Original stable block/barn of sandstone rubble to N; now converted to flat/garage.
Appears without rear wing but with stable block and the same extent of ground on Wood's plan. The manse was constructed after 11 years of court action to obtain one by the then minister, the Reverend Allan McLean (The New Statistical Account). According to Gifford (see above) the architect was Alexander Laing of Edinburgh.
Other nearby listed buildings