This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0766 / 56°4'35"N
Longitude: -3.4459 / 3°26'45"W
OS Eastings: 310101
OS Northings: 688027
OS Grid: NT101880
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.P5V3
Mapcode Global: WH6RX.1JDG
Entry Name: Leys Park Road, Former Fever Hospital (Mclean House)
Listing Date: 8 August 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362503
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26030
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline North
Traditional County: Fife
1849; refurbished 1999. 2-storey; 5-bay; T-plan main block with narrow single-storey flanking wings (that to E has been extended slightly). Built as fever hospital. Symmetrical design with consoled block pediment to main entrance. Coursed stugged cherry-caulking sandstone with droved ashlar dressings (E wing partially harled). Eaves course. Droved surrounds to windows.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: architraved entrance with consoled block pediment to centre; 4-panel timber door. Window above. Paired flanking bays; window to each bay to each floor. Single storey flanking wings set back; window to each; additional window to extended section to right wing.
N ELEVATION: rectangular-plan stairtower with stair window to centre. Paired flanking bays set back; slightly irregular fenestration (window to each floor to each bay apart from to upper floor of inner left bay). Single storey flanking wings set back; entrance to each; window to extended section to left wing.
E and W ELEVATIONS: blank with single storey wings projecting to S of centre (pair of windows to extended E wing; entrance set back to right.
Windows missing (1999). Grey slate hipped roofs.
INTERIOR: stripped (floorboards and wall plaster removed) during renovations (1999). Retains dog-leg staircase with cast-iron balustrade to stairtower.
B-Group with former Dunfermline Poorhouse and Northern Hospital (Ley's Park Nursing Home) and Poorhouse Probationary Ward (The Lodge). Intact mid 19th century fever/infectious diseases hospital. It was constructed with money donated by the Rev Allan McLean. In 1891 it was acquired by the Combination Poor House Committee to be used as an annexe of the adjacent poor house. With the creation of the National Health Service in 1948 the complex came under the management of the West Fife Hospital Board and became the Northern Hospital, specialising in the care of the long-term and chronic sick. The hospital was closed in 1985 and McLean House was sold separately from the main block, which became a nursing home.
Other nearby listed buildings