History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leys Park Road, Former Poorhouse Probationary Ward ('the Lodge'), Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall

A Category C Listed Building in Dunfermline, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0755 / 56°4'31"N

Longitude: -3.4474 / 3°26'50"W

OS Eastings: 310004

OS Northings: 687904

OS Grid: NT100879

Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PCGF

Mapcode Global: WH6RX.0KNB

Entry Name: Leys Park Road, Former Poorhouse Probationary Ward ('the Lodge'), Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 8 August 1986

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 362504

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26031

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunfermline

County: Fife

Town: Dunfermline

Electoral Ward: Dunfermline North

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Dunfermline

Description

Andrew Scobie, 1885. Single-storey; 3-bay; T-plan; detached former poorhouse probationary ward with gabled flanking bays with mullioned bipartites to principal (S) elevation. Coursed stugged sandstone rubble with droved and polished ashlar dressings. Base course; eaves band.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical arrangement. Architraved central entrance; replacement metal-faced door with 2-pane rectangular fanlight. Slightly projecting flanking gabled outer bays; each with short broken section of eaves band to either side at head of moulded skewputt; mullioned bipartite with bracketed canopy and apron to each.

E ELEVATION: blank bay projects to left (entrance and window to right return). Short section of rubble wall with rounded coping adjoins to right, enclosing small walled yard; mullioned bipartite set back to rear wing behind wall.

2 and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, piended apart from to principal (S) elevation. 3 corniced ashlar stacks with friezes; stacks (octagonal) to one only.

INTERIOR: not inspected (1999).

Statement of Interest

B-Group with former Dunfermline Poorhouse and Northern Hospital (Ley's Park Nursing Home) and former Fever Hospital (McLean House). Built as part of the Dunfermline Poorhouse (founded in 1843). In 1904 it became a hospital as well as a poorhouse. With the creation of the National Health Service in 1948 it came under the management of the West Fife Hospital Board and became the Northern Hospital, specialising in the care of the long-term and chronic sick. The hospital was closed in 1985, since which time it has been sold and passed into use as a nursing home.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.