This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0724 / 56°4'20"N
Longitude: -3.4629 / 3°27'46"W
OS Eastings: 309033
OS Northings: 687581
OS Grid: NT090875
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PG05
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.SM6P
Entry Name: Chapel Street, Gillespie Memorial Church, (Church of Scotland), Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers to West
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362510
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26037
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Andrew Balfour, 1848-49; altered and hall added 1882; with later additions. 5-bay; symmetrical; rectangular-plan church, built as United Presbyterian chapel. Gothick design with with Tudor-arched entrance and octagonal piers flanking gabled central bay to principal (W) elevation. Polished ashlar principal elevation; coursed stugged ashlar elsewhere. Coped gables. Hood-moulded openings with chamfered reveals to principal elevation; droved chamfered reveals to windows to side (N and S) elevations.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps up to central Tudor-arched entrance; 2-leaf panelled timber door. Ogee-headed hood-mould with foliate finial to traceried window above. Parapet raised at gable between octagonal piers flanking central bay; embellished clover-leaf cross finial at apex. Taller narrower traceried window to each of flanking bays. Stepped diagonal buttress to either side of elevation; each with gableted head surmounted by truncated pinnacle. Cill courses to outer bays and octagonal piers. Band courses over entrance, at cill level, adjoining hood-mould and at gable level to central bay and flanking octagonal piers.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: lancet window to each bay. Minor entranceway between 4th and 5th bays from left to N elevation; steps down to basement to between 1st and 2nd bays. Entrance into vestibule to lower height extension of 1882 adjoining to right of S elevation; droved surround; panelled timber door with rectangular fanlight. Window to right.
E ELEVATION: single storey harled extensions project some distance form church. Taller lean-to roof of 1882 choir range set back to centre of church.
Fixed multi-pane windows; some leaded stained glass. Grey slate roof. Small coped gablehead stack with to E side.
INTERIOR: U-plan gallery supported on cast-iron columns. Contemporary Gothic panelling to lower part of E end; flanking doorways and central fixed pulpit with steps up to either side. Plain pews with book rests. Moulded Caernarvon-arched opening with flanking foliate columns to choir range inserted 1882. Pair of stone staircases to gallery to either side of vestibule at W entrance. 4-panel Tudor-arched doors throughout. Stained glass window to W depicting goodness, meekness and gentleness in memory of Reverend Miller, died 1924; later windows (circa 1947) by R Douglas McLundie circa in 1882 choir range.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: pair of late 19th century sandstone ashlar gatepiers to W; square-plan with chamfered sides on base; moulded Gothic band course; gablet enclosing trefoil to each side of coping; ball finial. Low flanking walls of coursed stugged sandstone with chamfered coping.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. B-Group with 12 Chapel Street (former manse). The history of the church is an interesting one, and significant in terms of the Dissent movement. The congregation was founded in 1752 by the supporters of the Rev Thomas Gillespie, Minister of Carnock, one of the founders of the Relief Church, following his deposition by the Church of Scotland. Their meeting house was granted the status of Chapel of Ease in 1779. It is shown as 'Relief Church' on J Wood's 'Plan of the Town of Dunfermline' of 1823 (this may be the same building referred to in 'The Statistical Account of Scotland' of 1794 as having been built in 1775). In 1847 the Relief Church joined with the Secession Church to form the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland. The Gillespie Relief Church and the Maygate Secession Church (of Dunfermline) amalgamated, building the present church in 1848-49. In 1900 the Gillespie congregation became part of the United Free Church of Scotland. See separate list description for 12 Chapel Street (former manse).
Other nearby listed buildings