This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0721 / 56°4'19"N
Longitude: -3.4532 / 3°27'11"W
OS Eastings: 309635
OS Northings: 687535
OS Grid: NT096875
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PJ5S
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.XMSY
Entry Name: East Port, Carnegie Music Institute
Listing Date: 29 January 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362542
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26065
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline North
Traditional County: Fife
Later 19th century; billiard room extension added to W 1891; extended to E and some remodelling of interior (where former conservatory added) 1899 by Harbourne Maclennan of Dunfermline; summer house pavilion constructed to E 1900 by Harbourne Maclennan; further extensions to E late 20th century, including linking section to pavilion. Mainly 2-storey and attic and 2-storey; asymmetrical-plan; linked to W to passage to adjacent Carnegie Hall. Former large villa now music institute. Original villa of Gothic Revival design with hood-moulded mullion windows, gabled dormers with Caernarvon-arched hoods and machicolated entrance tower; main (E) extension in Jacobethan style with pedimented and hood-moulded mullioned windows and obelisk finials to single stepped gables; Edwardian Baroque summer house pavilion with scrolled pediments to windows. Coursed stugged sandstone with polished sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course and eaves course to most parts. Architraved windows with chamfered and stopped surrounds/mullions to original block. Coped gables throughout; those to original villa with gableted blocks at apex and above moulded skewputts.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-storey entrance tower projects to centre of original block (to right). Steps up to splayed pointed segmental-arched architrave; roll-moulded pointed trifoliated opening set within; panelled timber door with shaped fanlight. Pair of moulded band courses above; upper one at cill level of corbelled 3-light oriel window; flanking finialled gablets to cill band. 3-light mullion window to top floor. Single window to right return of tower to ground and 3rd floors. Tall gabled copper(?) roof swept at eaves. Gabled bay set back slightly to left; hood-moulded 2-light window with panel at head to ground floor; hood-moulded window with panel at head above; small window to attic. Bay to right of tower set further back; hood-moulded 2-light window with panel at head to ground floor; dormer with gabled Caernarvon-arched hood on flanking brackets; shield at centre. Single storey ancillary range set back slightly to outer left of original block; 2 widely-spaced 2-light dormers (coping not gableted); both with gabled Caernarvon-arched hoods on flanking brackets. Walled yard adjoins to left; stepped up at centre over pointed segmental-arched carriage entrance. Late 19th century extension set back behind wall and ancillary range. 2 bays, each with single-stepped gable surmounted by ornamental hexagonal stack finial. Large late 20th century entrance to left bay; irregular fenestration. Narrow bay with catslide roof belonging to earlier block set back to right; dormer with gabled Caernarvon-arched hood and shield at centre. Late 20th century single storey brick wing adjoins to left.
S ELEVATION: 2-bay original block to left; large 4-light canted bay window with crenellated parapet to each bay. Pair of windows above to slightly projecting gabled left bay. Pair of dormers to right, each with gabled Caernarvon-arched hood on flanking brackets; shield at centre. 1899 extension set back to right. 2 main bays, each with single-stepped gable surmounted by ornamental hexagonal stack finial; obelisk finials to steps. 3-light mullioned and transomed window to ground floor to each bay; both with hood-mould with pointed peak (over carved fleur-de-lys/rose repectively) at centre. Pedimented window (pediments alternately triangular and semicircular) with moulded architrave and bracketed cill above each; both pediments monogrammed and finialled with flanking scrolls at base. Double ventilation panels to each gable. Single storey billiard room extension with battlemented parapet to roof set back slightly to left of original block. Pointed segmental-arched entrance to open vestibule with hood-moulding with monogrammed shield dated 1891 to panel at head; entrance with part-glazed panelled timber door to left return. Ashlar projecting bay with 6-light mullioned and transomed window and and crenellated parapet to left. Late 20th century single storey wing adjoins to outer right, terminating at summer house pavilion.
E ELEVATION: largely obscured by late 20th century single storey wings. 2 upper bays to 1899 extension set back to left; each with gabled dormer with shield at centre. E side of original block set further back to right. Dormer window with gabled hood over roll-moulded Caernarvon-arch on flanking brackets; shield at centre. Pair of small windows to left; boxed dormer above.
W ELEVATION: narrow recessed central bay with dormer window with gabled hood over roll-moulded Caernarvon-arch on flanking brackets; shield at centre. Flanking projecting gabled bays; ground floor of that to right (and centre bay) obscured by later single storey extensions. Hood-moulded window with panel with shield at head to 1st floor to each projecting bay (that to right blocked); identical hood-mould to 2-light mullioned window to ground floor of left bay; small attic window to right gable; ventilation panel to left gable. Late 20th century glazed lean-to passage projecting to right of left bay leads to linking passage of Carnegie Hall (see separate list description).
PAVILION: square plan with pavilion roof, swept at eaves. Cill course and eaves band. Corner pilasters at angles. Entrance with moulded architrave to right of W side; cartouche with star and moon motifs over lintel dated '1900' and monogrammed 'A D'; partially glazed timber door of Art Nouveau design. Late 20th century single storey stone wing adjoins to left. 3-light mullion window to S; 2-light mullion window to E; decorative cartouche over each light. End elevation of late 20th century single storey brick wing adjoins N side.
Mainly 2 and 4-light timber sash and case windows; multi-pane upper sashes to pavilion and billiard room. Grey slate roofs. 4 wide shouldered stacks with band course and cornices to original block; mid-pitch stack with band course and cornice to 2-storey extension; corniced wallhead stack with band course incorporating decorative rain spouts to E side; octagonal cans where existing. Some rainwater heads with thistle and rose motifs (possibly earlier 20th century) to original block; pair of original cast-iron downpipes with wide rainwater heads of Art Nouveau design situated beneath specially constructed round-arched openings to 2-storey extension.
INTERIOR: retains a number of high quality internal fittings of late 19th/early 20th century date. This included timber panelling to entrance hall and vestibule area (formerly leading to conservatory) divided from it by railed timber screen. Plaster cherub brackets below pointed segmental arches at junctions of entrance hall/vestibule. Fireplace with timber surround in vestibule monogrammed 'W R' (William Robertson). Leaded glass to inner door opening into entrance hall. Leaded stained glass light above stairwell. Half-turn timber staircase with landings and timber barleysugar-twist balusters. Interior of billiard room (1891) entirely timber panelled up to frieze, including 2 recesses; one incorporating sideboard and shelves; one an inglenook with arcaded panelling, Tudor-arched strapwork ceiling; fixed seating, fluted columns and brick fire surround with pedimented timber mantelpiece. Wallpaper to frieze incorporates embossed thistle and rose motif. Heavily beamed timber ceiling with large central light well. Veined marble chimneypiece in library and wallpaper frieze in Chinese style. Contemporary fittings to 1st floor bathroom; glazed tiles with embossed geometric designs incorporating dado, dado band and upper wall area. Enamelled bath with incorporated shower cubicle, set in timber casing with brass fittings. Blue and white porcelain toilet bowl with contemporary fittings.
GARDEN WALL: rectangular garden to S enclosed on 3 sides by coursed stugged sandstone rubble (with ridged coping) and brick wall; stepped down along sloping ground to E and W. Entrance to W side. N side of garden comprises 2 terraces with sloping sides with 2 sets of steps.
A large asymmetrical later 19th century house with some finely detailed additions. A number of interesting interior features include high quality Arts and Crafts fittings to billiard room. Originally called 'Hawthornbank', its name was changed to 'Benachie House' in 1909 when it was acquired by the Robertson family, who carried out various alterations. It was purchased by the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust in 1933 for use as a music institute and is now owned by Dunfermline District Council, Department of Recreation.
Other nearby listed buildings