This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1872 / 56°11'13"N
Longitude: -3.9639 / 3°57'49"W
OS Eastings: 278214
OS Northings: 701128
OS Grid: NN782011
Mapcode National: GBR 1B.G3H7
Mapcode Global: WH4NT.2RQ6
Entry Name: 22 and 24 High Street
Listing Date: 26 October 1976
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363020
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26398
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunblane and Bridge of Allan
Traditional County: Perthshire
1726. 2-storey with attic, 4-bay, rectangular-plan, gabled tenement with shops at ground. Harled, yellow sandstone rubble with ashlar margins. Painted margins with projecting cills to windows.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: bull-faced stucco to outer left bay at ground floor; door flanked by window to immediate left. Window to bay to right, timber panelled door to bay to right. Large plate glass window to outer right bay with door to immediate right. Regular fenestration to upper storey, swept wallhead dormer breaking eaves and slightly lower main window to outer right bay.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration, 2-storey advanced bay to left, single storey addition to right.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION blind gable end, 2 large stone buttresses.
S (SIDE) ELEVATAION: obscured by abutting building.
12-pane, timber frame, sash and case windows to upper storey, fixed plate glass to ground. Grey slates, lead flashing. Coped gable end stack to S.
INTERIORS: not seen 2001.
The extra roof stack and attic window to the outer right bay shows this to have been a later addition. Despite the bull-faced render to the front elevation and numerous alterations and additions to the rear the building remains a well-proportioned 18th century provincial town house at its core. And as such remarkable survivor of the late nineteenth century rebuilding of Dunblane High Street. A carved panel with coat-of-arms and date described in the original list description as being almost obliterated has latterly been harled and a burglar alarm fitted over.
Other nearby listed buildings