History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Perth Road, St Mary's Episcopal Church Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall

A Category B Listed Building in Dunblane, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1882 / 56°11'17"N

Longitude: -3.9597 / 3°57'35"W

OS Eastings: 278473

OS Northings: 701238

OS Grid: NN784012

Mapcode National: GBR 1B.G4DN

Mapcode Global: WH4NT.4QPD

Entry Name: Perth Road, St Mary's Episcopal Church Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 363025

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26404

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunblane

County: Stirling

Town: Dunblane

Electoral Ward: Dunblane and Bridge of Allan

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Dunblane

Description

John Henderson, 1843 with later additions. Rectangular-plan, plain, gabled gothic church, aligned E-W, with bellcote to E. Stepped, clasping buttresses. Base course, continuous window impost height string course, moulded eaves course. Saw-tooth coped skews, gabletedskewputts. Pointed-arch windows, chamfered reveals, deep pitched cills.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-bay, regular fenestration, steeply pitched gabled entrance porch to outer left; diagonal clasping buttresses flanking stone steps to pointed-arch entrance, double roll-moulded to reveal, engaged columns with foliate capitals; modern timber door and fanlight, pointed-arch ventilation slit to gablehead; pointed segmental-arched inner entrance within inscribed pointed-arch, dated 1843 above; 2-leaf, boarded timber door with strap hinges.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-bay, regular fenestration, later addition to NE corner; 3-light window, harled, slated piended roof.

E (END) ELEVATION: stepped tripartite lancet window, continuous cill course.

W (END) ELEVATION: single storey, gabled chancel abutting to centre, stepped tripartite to centre.

Leaded windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: plain, whitewashed interior; ashlar margin to pointed-archway to chancel, engaged columns with plain capitals supporting arch. Stone corbels supporting exposed roof beams. Stone steps to chancel. Stone pulpit and font.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. St Mary's church was consecrated by the Episcopal Bishop of St Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane on 28th May 1845.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.