This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7767 / 55°46'36"N
Longitude: -4.1503 / 4°9'1"W
OS Eastings: 265222
OS Northings: 655804
OS Grid: NS652558
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.95N6
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.62X9
Entry Name: Maxwelton Road, the Hunter Museum (Formerly Hunter House), Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 15 March 1963
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363253
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26607
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Early 18th century; early 19th century alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay dwelling house; 1996 converted to museum; single storey and attic range to W. Painted harl; raised margins to main house; squared and snecked rubble to range.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central timber porch; single windows flanking; regular fenestration above; plaque outlining history of house between 1st and 2nd bays at 1st floor. Single storey and attic range extends to W; 3 single windows to right; blind to left; single window in gablehead of left return.
W ELEVATION: adjoining range.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: central tympany gable with blind oculus; irregular pattern and size of fenestration. Double gable extension to range; modern door and windows to right gable; modern windows on returns; skylight windows.
E ELEVATION: single window in left bay at ground; single window in right bay at 1st floor.
12-pane sash and case windows to principal elevation; mix of 12-pane and 2-pane sash and case to rear elevation. Slate roof; crowstepped skews; straight skews to tympany gable; coped rubble stacks at gableheads.
INTERIOR: house converted into a museum; original plan of house altered to create exhibition space, video-rooms and offices.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: pair of stone piers; chamfered plinths; panelled shafts; pyramidal corniced caps. Low rubble wall.
This house was the birthplace of the famous brothers, William and John Hunter. The estate of Long Calderwood was purchased by their father, a successful grain merchant, in 1717 and it was an estate of 75 acres. A plaque on the front of the house preserves the link between the family and house: 'The birthplace of two great Scotsmen. William Hunter, Born 23 May 1718, Died 30 March 1783 and John Hunter, Born 13 February 1728, Died 16 October 1793, pre-eminent in medicine and in surgery'. Both men left East Kilbride for London and became respected doctors. The respect that John Hunter generated is demonstrated by his burial place - Westminster Abbey. William Hunter became a famed teacher of anatomy; his public lectures were attended by the great men of the day including David Hume and Adam Smith. He also pioneered the study of gynaecology: in 1774 he published 'The Anatomy of the Human Gravid Uterus'. At his death, in 1783, he bequeathed his eclectic collections, which included anatomical specimens, 12,000 books, 6,000 manuscripts, coins and art as well as an ethnographic collection, to Glasgow University. The University built a special museum to house its new possessions: The Hunterian. John Hunter preferred the practical side of medicine and was constantly investigating new avenues. As well as being a pre-eminent surgeon, he was Surgeon Extraordinary to King George III (his elder brother had been Surgeon Extraordinary to Queen Charlotte). In 1771 he published 'A Treatise on the Natural History of Human Teeth' and ten years later was a co-founder of the first Royal Veterinary College. The pride that East Kilbride holds for these two famous sons is evident throughout the town: the Hunter Museum, which was opened in 1996; Hunter Street was renamed during the 19th century to commemorate the brothers; the Hunter Memorial, by Benno Schotz, constructed at Priestknowe Roundabout.
Other nearby listed buildings