This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7484 / 55°44'54"N
Longitude: -4.1452 / 4°8'42"W
OS Eastings: 265446
OS Northings: 652641
OS Grid: NS654526
Mapcode National: GBR 3X.BSZ7
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.9SB2
Entry Name: Calderglen Country Park, Rangers Office (Formerly Torrance House Stables)
Listing Date: 15 March 1963
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363280
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26624
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
William Adam, 1740; 20th century conversion. 2-storey, 5-bay former stable. Rubble with smooth margins.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central round arched door with keystone; single windows flanking; 5 single windows, square in proportion, above; attic window to right of roof.
SE ELEVATION: blind.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: bipartite windows in left bay; single window in 2nd bay from left; door and window in 3rd bay from left; bipartite in right bay. 4 attic windows above: bipartite windows in end bays; single windows in centre bays.
NW ELEVATION: door at ground; single window in left bay at 1st floor.
Modern glazing. Piended slate roof; very tall, coped stacks at SE and NW.
A-Group with Torrance House, Strathaven Road Lodge, Calderglen Country Park Bridge, Calderglen Country Park Gatepiers and statue of Sir John Falstaff. Calderglen Country Park was formerly the Torrance Estate that belonged to the Stuart family. From 1948 to 1966, the house became the office of the East Kilbride Development Corporation. The property remained empty during the 1970s and fell into disrepair. In 1979, East Kilbride District Council saved the house, restoring and converting it into two private dwelling houses. The estate remained in the ownership of the council and was opened to the public as a country park. The tower house and gate lodge are in private ownership. Drawings at the National Library of Scotland by William Adam, show the design for the stable block (since converted into the Ranger's Office). Along with the drawing of the stable block are designs for alterations to the tower house and a courtyard; all of which seem to have been executed.
Other nearby listed buildings