This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7563 / 55°45'22"N
Longitude: -4.146 / 4°8'45"W
OS Eastings: 265424
OS Northings: 653526
OS Grid: NS654535
Mapcode National: GBR 3X.B6NR
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.8KZZ
Entry Name: Newhousemill Road, Newhouse House and Outbuildings
Listing Date: 15 March 1963
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363283
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26627
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
18th century dwelling house with outbuildings forming U-plan; refurbished 2001. 2-storey, 3-bay; squared and snecked rubble; raised, painted margins to main elevation.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central door; single windows flanking; regular fenestration above at 1st floor. Single storey L-plan range to W: 4 windows on S front; 2 windows to left on W front; blind left return; 2 large openings on N front.
W ELEVATION: W range attached.
N ELEVATION: ground floor not seen 2001; circular window in centre of 1st floor; single windows flanking,
E ELEVATION: not seen 2001.
Crowstepped gables; stacks at gableheads; slate roof.
OUTBUILDINGS: L-plan range under re-construction 2001.
The lands of Newhouse were part of the Torrance estate; a memorial 'concerning the Heritable Subjects' belonging to Major General Stuart, dated 1793, included item 5: 'the lands of Newhouse in the parish of Kilbride'. Newhouse appears to have been built as a manse for the Reverend Matthew Connell in the late 1730s / early 1740s. A surviving Deed of Excambion, dated 27th November 1739, between 'Collonell James Stuart of Torrance upon the one part And the Reverend Mr Matthw Connell minister of the Gospel of the Paroch of Kilbryde' agreed that a house should be built at Newhouse, to accommodate the minister. This property was vacated in the 1790s, when Brousterland was rented for the minister. This change of accommodation was probably one of convenience - Newhouse is some distance from the Parish Church - but also of politics. Following the controversy of ecclesiastical patronage in 1793, the church may have felt it wise to minimise relations with the Stuarts of Torrance. In the New Statistical Account of 1845, Reverend Henry Moncreiff recalls that in 1820 the tenant of the house had removed all the soil from the neighbouring old kirkyard (St. Leonard's Kirk - a stone still marks the site) and used this 'human fertiliser' to enrich his own fields.
Other nearby listed buildings