This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9767 / 55°58'36"N
Longitude: -3.1708 / 3°10'15"W
OS Eastings: 327030
OS Northings: 676584
OS Grid: NT270765
Mapcode National: GBR 8T5.60
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.81BJ
Entry Name: 67 Commercial Street, Custom House, with Stable Range; Eh6 6lh
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363603
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26787
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Robert Reid, 1810-12; additions and alterations by William Burn, 1825. Severe neo-classical symmetrical 2-storey 11-bay building, with attic storey to advanced centrepiece and end bays; single storey stable range to rear; Burn?s additions include perron stair, single storey pavilions and single storey links to stables. Cream sandstone ashlar; base course, cill course to 1st floor, band course above, dentilled cornice; balustraded parapet between panelled and coped attic storeys; punched windows.
S (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay pedimented centrepiece with pair of fluted Greek Doric columns set in antis between broad piers, each pier with niche at ground and framed square panel above; Royal arms (carved from wood) in tympanum; 2-leaf panelled door with moulded architrave and cornice; perron steps, panelled to front, with bulbous balusters and piers. 3 bays and broader advanced end bay to either side. Flanking advanced single storey pavilions with window in recessed arch; moulded impost course; cornice and blocking course with raised panelled central tablet. Arrowhead cast-iron railings on flat ashlar bed between pavilions and centrepiece.
W (DOCK PLACE) ELEVATION: at ground, single storey pavilion to S with large rectangular window in recessed segmental-arched panel, moulded impost course, panelled door with 3-pane rectangular fanlight to right, blocking course with raised panelled tablet; coursed single storey rubble screen wall enclosing stable court to S with 2 small windows and door between extends to tall ashlar carriage gateway detailed as pavilion but with 2-leaf boarded gates in round-headed arch. Recessed to N, piend-roofed 2-storey 3-bay end of coursed rubble stables, central window of 1st floor blind. 1st floor of main block with pair of central windows and slightly advanced outer bays.
E (WATERFRONT) ELEVATION: as above, but: S pavilion with round-headed arch and standard window (no door); ashlar screen with 5 bays, panelled door to left with consoled cornice, narrow door to inner left with flanking sidelights, 3 windows to right. Stable pavilion with door to centre at ground.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey and attic 8-bay; coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; band course, cornice and parapet to advanced single end bays only; windows to each bay of principal floors. Centre 4 bays advanced with attic windows and pediment. Flanking bays with round- headed loading bay breaking eaves at centre; projecting porch to 3rd bay from left; inner right bays with projecting garage door addition at ground. End pavilions (see above).
STABLE RANGE: coursed rubble 2-storey 12-bay range with stugged ashlar dressings; 4 central bays with irregular fenestration between pair of slightly advanced fronts with recessed archways (blank to left, windows to both floors to right) and blocking courses, 2 bays beyond and taller end bays.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, piended roofs; cast-iron downpipes; decorative rainwater heads stamped GIIIR.
INTERIOR: classical theme continues, much-altered by Burn. Lobby leads via tripartite doorway with elliptical fanlight to oblong central stair-hall with Imperial stair going down to ground level and up to gallery and principal floor; acanthus balusters embossed with lions rampant; oval dome on pendentives and elliptical arches with coffered soffits, opening through smaller elliptical-headed doorways to room each side. To E top-lit Boardroom, with apsidal ended meeting room beyond; to W top-lit arcaded Long Room with D-shaped room beyond. To E at ground Burn's public reception room created in single storey link with direct access; elaborate 9-compartment ceiling on bracketed cornice (now fitted out as exhibition room).
The interior was massively altered by Burn, who put in the stair, and is now used as storage by the National Museums of Scotland; it's appearance reflects that use.
Other nearby listed buildings