This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9773 / 55°58'38"N
Longitude: -3.1719 / 3°10'18"W
OS Eastings: 326968
OS Northings: 676652
OS Grid: NT269766
Mapcode National: GBR 8T4.0S
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.71V2
Entry Name: 1a and 2-11 (Inclusive Nos) Dock Place; Eh6 6lu
Listing Date: 30 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363779
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26890
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
John Paterson, engineer, circa 1810. Symmetrical 4-storey and attic 12-bay warehouse with offices at ground, now converted as tenement with commercial properties at ground. Coursed cream sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and ground floor; string course above all floors; ashlar blocking course below eaves; regular fenestration.
E (DOCK PLACE) ELEVATION: 4-storey 12-bay; at ground, 18-bay engaged Ionic colonnade with full entablature (9 S bays of fibreglass, copied from N originals at Nos 4-7 in early 1980s). Flanking 3-bay ends closely spaced and slightly advanced above ground.
S ELEVATION: 4-storey and attic 7-bay gable end. At ground from left, panelled doors with rectangular fanlights to 2nd, 4th and 5th bays. Centre bays above with blind windows; centre 5 bays only to gablehead.
W ELEVATION: 4-storey 8-bay with warehouse doors and pair of gableheaded dormer hoists to inner 3rd bays (being converted to windows). Ashlar ground floor; segmental-headed windows. Various alterations at ground including addtion of single storey piend-roofed range extending from and beyond 2 left bays.
N ELEVATION: 4-storey and attic 6-bay; 2 centre bays slightly advanced. At ground windows to 2 centre bays with tenement door between; penultimate bay to right with restaurant doorpiece with engaged Ionic columns; window to right; windows to 2 left bays. Inner bays of main upper storeys blank; attic with windows to 4 central bays.
16-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, ashlar coped skews; apex stacks.
The 1853 OS map shows a complete colonnade.
Other nearby listed buildings