This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9739 / 55°58'26"N
Longitude: -3.1672 / 3°10'1"W
OS Eastings: 327254
OS Northings: 676273
OS Grid: NT272762
Mapcode National: GBR 8T6.Y0
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.B32N
Entry Name: 69 and 71 Constitution Street, Former St John's East Church (C of S)
Listing Date: 29 April 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364245
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27192
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
1773, remodelled and re-fronted David Rhind, 1843, Rectangular-plan preaching-box with later gothic refacing, W tower and single storey wing to N. Cream sandstone, polished ashlar front and tower, coursed rubble to rear and sides with ashlar quoins. Cavetto eaves cornice; front with base course; 4-centred arches, ashlar mullions and hoodmoulds with angled label stops to principal openings; angle buttresses with octagonal pinnacles, gabletted faces and elongated ogee heads.
W (FRONT) ELEVATION: 3-stage lantern tower to centre, pointed-arch doorway, row of blind quatrefoils above; 2nd stage with 2 tall bipartite windows to S, W and N faces; top stage with broached base of spire with corner pinnacles, clock faces (without faces) to S, W and N framed by corbelled shafts; tall octagonal belfry with lancet windows and octagonal corbelled shafts breaking eaves to pierced arcaded parapet. Y-traceried windows flanking tower.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled; 2 tall windows flanking (blocked) oculus and square blank ashlar cartouche; keystoned bull?s-eye window in gablehead. Original round-arched and keystoned openings (blocked) doorway flanked by 2 windows, tall window in gablehead flanked by smaller windows.
N ELEVATION: 3 tall arched openings; large velux rooflights.
S ELEVATION: as N elevation.
SIDE WING: stugged ashlar; single storey; rectangular-plan; rectangular openings with chamfered reveals and ashlar mullions; pinnacled buttresses; W elevation 4-bay with doorway to left of centre, 4-light canted window with parapet rising to finialled gable above to right of centre, single windows to outer bays; single window and stepped parapet on S return.
Replacement windows throughout. Slate roof with lead flashings. Triangular ashlar skews.
INTERIOR: gutted and 3 storeys inserted.
Low rubble wall to front, cast-iron railings, 2 square coped gatepiers, base of octagonal gatepier.
Built at chapel of Ease in parish of South Leith, became quod sacra parish church in 1834, was subsequently held by the Free Church 1843-46, closed 1954. Now in the process (1992) of refurbishment and conversion to 3-storeys of offices, the side wing (originally part of a symmetrical pair of schoolroom pavilions, S wing demolished mid 20th century) has already been converted to offices. Only remains of church interior is the stained glass (Dickson & Walker, 1897) of the E oculus.
Other nearby listed buildings