This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9714 / 55°58'17"N
Longitude: -3.1729 / 3°10'22"W
OS Eastings: 326889
OS Northings: 675998
OS Grid: NT268759
Mapcode National: GBR 8S6.SX
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.75BL
Entry Name: 18-46 (Even Nos) Great Junction Street
Listing Date: 29 April 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364699
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27492
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1870. Block of 3, 5-bay 4-storey tenements with shops at ground floor and Gothic details. Cream sandstone, droved ashlar with polished dressings, coursed rubble to rear. Hood-mould over shops joining labelstops to common stair doorways; cill courses to all floors; eaves cornice; stop-chamfered reveals; moulded lintels at 1st and 2nd floor; 1st floor windows with Corinthian mullions; 2nd floor windows with Corinthian columnar mullion; 3rd floor windows with carved trefoiled heads; roll-moulded common stair doorways with segmental-shaped 2-pane fanlights and hoodmoulds with floral labelstops.
SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: each tenement with common stair doorway to centre flanked by shops. Single windows above to centre bays, centre window at 3rd floor pointed-arched with hood-mould and carved trefoil to tympanum, tall shouldered wallhead stack above; bipartite windows to outer bays.
Exception: Nos 40-46 slightly elongated proportions, no wallhead stack, formerly pend to outer right, now entrance to modern shopping centre to rear, entrance with period cast-iron entrance porch (moved to site).
Original shopfront No 46 with slender carved mullions; No 44 good 1930s fishmongers front and tiled interior; remaining shopfronts modern replacements.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: single windows.
Mostly timber sash and case windows, plate glass or 4-pane glazing, some modern replacements. Slate roof, 2 wallhead stacks linked to roof (see above), mutual stacks (mostly rebuilt), stacks originally with rounded arrises over shoulders. Moulded eaves gutters.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Brought above the margin for listing by wealth of carved detail.
Other nearby listed buildings