This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9455 / 55°56'43"N
Longitude: -3.2294 / 3°13'45"W
OS Eastings: 323314
OS Northings: 673176
OS Grid: NT233731
Mapcode National: GBR 8FJ.B6
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.CTFH
Entry Name: 7 Hampton Terrace, National Bible Society of Scotland Building (Formerly Roseburn Free Church, Latterly Wester Coates Parish Church)
Listing Date: 29 April 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364794
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27557
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Robert Raeburn 1867-68; converted internally and spire partly rebuilt Dick Peddie & Mackay 1975. Rectangular plan Gothic-style church with buttressed belfry and broach spire at NE corner. Squared and snecked stugged sandstone ashlar with polished sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course; string course below cill level to ground; cill course to windows above entrance portal; band course to gable; moulded skews.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber doors with modern fanlight to moulded pointed-arch entrance portal; nook shafts with plain capitals and lugged hoodmould; narrow pointed-arch windows with chamfered aprons and lugged hoodmoulds to flanking bays; large tripartite pointed arch window with chamfered apron to 1st floor above; louvered pointed-arch oculus above central tallest lancet; corniced block finial to gable with metal 7-point star; buttressed turret with broach spire at NW corner, with single pointed-arch slit lights to ground and upper floors.
CORNER BELFRY: steps to architraved plain timber door; pointed-arch tripartite window with lugged hoodmould to floor above; string course; moulded diamond-shaped plaque with plain round inset; cill course; pair of narrow pointed-arch windows with lugged hoodmoulds in recessed panel with decorative band course; cornice; gabled pointed-arch louvered opening to foot of spire; double string course at mid-point; metal finial.
Roseburn Free Church originated as an offshoot of Free St George's Church, when had been established by Dr Candlish following the Disruption of 1843. In 1929, the United Free Church and Established Church rejoined and Roseburn Free Church became the parish church and its name was changed to Wester Coates Church. During the ensuing decades the congregation dwindled and in 1973, Dick Peddie and McKay converted the Wester Coates Church into the National Bible of Society of Scotland.
Other nearby listed buildings