This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9693 / 55°58'9"N
Longitude: -3.1733 / 3°10'23"W
OS Eastings: 326862
OS Northings: 675762
OS Grid: NT268757
Mapcode National: GBR 8S7.QN
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.7747
Entry Name: 80-90 (Even Nos) Leith Walk
Listing Date: 28 March 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364995
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27697
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Later 19th century. 4-storey 5-bay tenement with shops at ground floor, full-height cast-iron-framed and glazed facade to 3 bays to left; standard timber post and beam construction, some steelwork boxed-in behind facade, repaired 1988. Coursed and squared cream sandstone to front and side elevations, brick and some rubble to rear, steel beams encased in timber to glazed shopfront. Continuous cornice above ground floor with scrolled consoles; eaves cornice; stop- chamfered reveals and ashlar mullions to tenement; glazed facade with windows divided by slender timber mullions and transoms in basket- arched lights.
SE (FRONT) ELEVATION: Nos 88,90 with recessed doorway to centre flanked by display windows with central mullion;
floors above with moulded cill courses at 2nd and 3rd floor, broad bipartite windows to centre bay, tripartite windows to outer bays. Nos 80-86 with basket-arched openings at ground floor; common stair doorway to centre with plate glass fanlight; replacement shopfront to right; display window to left. Bipartite windows to all floors of bays above. Awning fittings to all shop windows.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: Nos 80-86 part rubble, part brick-built with semi-circular stairtower with hoist and hoist opening on flank. Nos 88-90 recessed, brick-built with bipartite windows and large 2-storey rendered extension with piend roof.
NE ELEVATION: 3-bay; gabled with broad apex stack; single windows; rounded corner to rear corbelled above ground floor; decorative corniced and panelled skewstacks.
Timber sash and case windows, plate glass glazing to front, 4-pane to rear. Slate roof with metal ridge; apex and skew stacks (see above), mutual stacks. 6 small cast-iron skylights to front.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Built for J D Coltart and Sons who were established in 1874. It may be compared with Arighi Bianchi?s store, Macclesfield, and Gardener?s Jamaica Street, Glasgow, similarly naturally lit furniture stores with glazed elevations.
Other nearby listed buildings