This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9047 / 55°54'16"N
Longitude: -3.2387 / 3°14'19"W
OS Eastings: 322651
OS Northings: 668646
OS Grid: NT226686
Mapcode National: GBR 8CZ.GT
Mapcode Global: WH6SS.7V08
Plus Code: 9C7RWQ36+VG
Entry Name: Covenanter's Monument, Redford Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: Redford Road, Covenanters' Monument
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365142
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27809
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead
Traditional County: Midlothian
1885 (stonework 1738, see Notes). Cluster of 4 engaged Roman Ionic columns with acanthus leaves over scrolls; polygonal plinth of 5 steps; full Ionic entablature with pulvinated frieze. Pyramidal capped block above entablature with inset panels inscribed CHARLES 1745 to E elevation and COVENANTERS 1666 to N. Surmounted by large cast-iron weather cock. Sandstone ashlar.
Erected by R A Macfie of Dreghorn House using the four Ionic columns from the frontispiece of William Adam's Royal Infirmary (1738). The Royal Infirmary was an important work by Adam and was demolished in 1884. It was a U-plan building, fairly plain for the sake of economy, but with an ornate frontispiece comprising four engaged giant Ionic columns to the 1st and 2nd floors, and a 3-bay attic storey with French roof, lantern, and flanking bracket scrolls. Macfie was a collector of architectural antiques, and bought most of the ornamental stonework from the Infirmary. The top section of the Infirmary frontispiece was re-erected on the other side of the road as a stable for Redford House (now Drummond Scrolls, 141 Redford Road).
Other nearby listed buildings