History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Andrew Place, St Andrew's Up Church (Formerly Secession)

A Category B Listed Building in Leith, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9706 / 55°58'14"N

Longitude: -3.1693 / 3°10'9"W

OS Eastings: 327118

OS Northings: 675910

OS Grid: NT271759

Mapcode National: GBR 8T7.J5

Mapcode Global: WH6SM.9625

Entry Name: St Andrew Place, St Andrew's Up Church (Formerly Secession)

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 365227

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27878

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Leith

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Seafield

Description

John and James Rutherford, builders, 1826-7. Small 3-bay rectangular-plan classical church. Cream sandstone, polished ashlar front, coursed and squared rubble to rear and sides with stugged dressings. Base course; shallow angle pilasters; broad frieze, eaves cornice and blocking course.

NE (FRONT) ELEVATION: centre bay slightly advanced with pedimented tetrastyle Ionic portico, doorway with shouldered architrave, 2-leaf panelled door and plate glass fanlight, flanked by blind niches. Ground floor windows of outer bays (blocked) with shouldered architraves and blank aprons; small blind windows above.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: eaves band; tall round-arched tripartite window (centre light bricked-up), outer lights with centre mullion and oculus, remains of non-figurative stained glass to head of left window.

NW ELEVATION: 4-bay; single windows (boarded and bricked up) with shallow segmental-arched heads to ground and gallery level.

SE ELEVATION: as above.

Shallow slate roof. Round-arched bipartite timber frames to side elevations.

INTERIOR: curved gallery stairways with timber hand to vestibule; curved N wall to main hall; galleries removed, walls stripped, gallery doors blocked; impressive queenpost timber roof.

Statement of Interest

Now disused. The architects John or James Tait, William Bell, Archibald Scott and James Anderson all submitted designs for the church, but it is unknown who was responsible for the design chosen.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.