This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9752 / 55°58'30"N
Longitude: -3.1698 / 3°10'11"W
OS Eastings: 327091
OS Northings: 676423
OS Grid: NT270764
Mapcode National: GBR 8T5.FJ
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.82TM
Entry Name: 19 Water Street, Lamb's House
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365270
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27915
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Probably early 17th century; remodelled 18th century; restored Neil & Hurd, 1937-9, and Robert Hurd & Partners, 1959-61. 3-storey and garret asymmetrical rectangular-plan merchant's house with modern lift tower to rear and single storey addition (1959-61) to front. Harled rubble with exposed dressings. Rounded or chamfered arrises to original windows; crowstepped gables.
SW (BURGESS STREET) ELEVATION: 3 asymmetrically gabled bays with apex stacks; centre bay with slightly projecting stairtower corbelled above ground and 1st floor flanked by single windows, doorway at ground floor, corbelled angle window above to left, asymmetrically placed windows to stairtower, corbelled garret stair in re-entrant angle to right above 3rd floor, recessed lean-to gablet to left. Bay to right with nepus gable, larger opening at ground floor and paired windows off-centre to right at 1st and 2nd floor. Bay to left with half-gable to left, modern addition at ground floor, paired windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor (loading door to left).
SE (WATER STREET) ELEVATION: gabled with apex stack; single windows off-centre to right; corbelled angle window at 2nd floor to right.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: large projecting lift tower off-centre to right; asymmetrically placed windows to remaining bays; attic windows breaking eaves.
NW ELEVATION: gabled with apex stack, single window at 3rd floor.
Modern windows of fixed leaded upper panes and wooden shutters, some small-pane sash and case windows. Modern red interlocking roof tiles. 4 apex stacks (see above). Corbelled skewputts.
INTERIOR: stone turnpike stair to SW stairtower with 2 slop-sinks in ogival recesses. Large fireplaces with stone surrounds at 1st and 2nd floor; at 2nd floor fireplaces with bolection-moulded stone surrounds.
Previously known as 23 Water's Close and converted 1960 for use as a day centre for the elderly. Lamb's House was bought by the Marquess of Bute in the 1930s who commissioned the restoration. Apparently, Mary Queen of Scots, on landing in Leith in 1561, stayed for an hour at "Andw Lamb's hous": the current building appears to be a later fabric on this site, known as Lamb's House by legend.
Other nearby listed buildings