History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spylaw Street and Dell Road Bridge

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9083 / 55°54'29"N

Longitude: -3.2565 / 3°15'23"W

OS Eastings: 321544

OS Northings: 669065

OS Grid: NT215690

Mapcode National: GBR 87Y.VJ

Mapcode Global: WH6SR.YRFJ

Entry Name: Spylaw Street and Dell Road Bridge

Listing Date: 19 November 2003

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 365322

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27951

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Colinton

Description

Probably later 18th century, plain single elliptical-arched bridge over the Water of Leith; E parapet wall splayed out at ends, with pall stones at corners; pyramidal caps at ends of parapet walls. Squared sandstone random rubble with flat cope stones to parapet wall and smooth voussoirs.

Statement of Interest

This bridge contributes greatly to the picturesqueness of Colinton Dell and links the commercial and residential area of old Colinton to St Cuthbert's church. It is very difficult to date a bridge of this type, as construction methods remained relatively unchanged for several centuries. There was definitely a stone bridge here in 1666, for Sir James Turner, who was captured by the Covenanters, mentions in his memoirs that they camped by it on their way to Edinburgh (see Gladstone-Millar). The bridge is also shown on John Adair's Map of Midlothian, 1682. However, it is very unlikely that the present bridge dates back to the seventeenth century. According to Professor Ted Ruddock, the original bridge would have been a narrow pedestrian bridge, and the width of the present bridge suggests a late eighteenth century date. A bridge with splayed ends is shown on the 1771 map of James Gillespie's farm, and it seems likely that that is the present bridge. Professor Ruddock also noted that the bridge seems to have been widened, probably in the late eighteenth, or early nineteenth century.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.