This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9434 / 55°56'36"N
Longitude: -3.2614 / 3°15'41"W
OS Eastings: 321312
OS Northings: 672975
OS Grid: NT213729
Mapcode National: GBR 86J.WY
Mapcode Global: WH6SK.WW43
Entry Name: 122 Corstorphine Road, Beechwood House (Murrayfield Hospital), Including 112-114 (Even Nos), Boundary Wall, Section of Garden Wall and Out-Building, Corstorphine Road
Listing Date: 14 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365452
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28031
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Traditional County: Midlothian
1780. 2-storey and basement 5-bay symmetrical classical mansion. William Sibbald added slightly recessed, symmetrical 3-bay single storey and basement wings, circa 1799. Polished, coursed sandstone ashlar to front elevation, with polished sandstone dressings; main block harled at sides, rubble to sides of wings. Band course between basement and ground floor; blind balustrade between basement and ground floor of wings; cornice and blocking course; quoins to main block; raised margins and block cills.
S (FRONT) ELEVATION: perron staircase to Doric doorpiece to centre at ground; doors to returns of staircase at each side at basement; window to each remaining bay at basement, wings included; doorpiece at ground comprises pair of columns (with narrow light between) supporting entablature and flanking panelled timber door with rectangular fanlight; window to bays at either side, main block; large window to each bay at ground floor of wings; window to each bay of main block at 2nd floor.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case glazing (18-pane to ground floor of wings). Grey slate piended roof to main block and to wings; shouldered wallhead stacks to main block, adjoining transverse coped stacks to wings; tall cylindrical cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.
112-114 (EVEN NOS) CORSTORPHINE ROAD: 2-storey, 3-bay, near symmetrical, late 18th century house. Door to centre at ground, window flanking at each side, both floors; small window at ground to outer left; window to left at both floors of right (side) elevation; single storey lean-to porch to right. Timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; skews; coped ridge and gablehead stacks; moulded cylindrical cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.
BOUNDARY WALL: coped rubble wall.
SECTION OF GARDEN WALL AND OUT-BUILDING: corner section of ashlar-coped rubble wall with 2-storey piend-roofed out-building at intersection. Wall swept to ashlar-framed gateway with (later) wrought-iron gate. Grey slates, stone skews, timber-boarded door and small-pane glazed timber window to out-building.
Built in 1780 for Francis Scott, second son of the laird of Harden. The 3-storey wings were added by William Sibbald circa 1799. In the 19th century, it became the seat of Sir Robert Dundas Baronet. The site once commanded some of the most magnificent views in Edinburgh, before later developments in the area. In 1984, the house was converted into hospital accommodation by Gordon and Latimer.
Other nearby listed buildings