History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gilmerton, the Drum, Stables

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9071 / 55°54'25"N

Longitude: -3.1194 / 3°7'9"W

OS Eastings: 330116

OS Northings: 668790

OS Grid: NT301687

Mapcode National: GBR 60N4.G9

Mapcode Global: WH6SV.1SVD

Entry Name: Gilmerton, the Drum, Stables

Listing Date: 14 July 1966

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 365482

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28054

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Liberton/Gilmerton

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Liberton

Description

1806. Classical U-plan stable block to S of main house; long low range with projecting wings. Squared and coursed rubble with polished ashlar dressings; base course, eaves course, moulded surrounds to bull?s-eye windows.

SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: large central doorway in form of triumphal arch breaking eaves; vermiculated base course, rustication above, moulded imposts, console keystone, cornice and blocking course. Large octagonal cupola above on swept ashlar base, timber louvres, lead dome with ball and finial. Square-headed doorway in recessed panel, timber door. 2 bull?s-eye windows with window between on each side of doorway. Advanced piended wings with window and pilastered cart openings, blind Venetian window on return.

REAR: lower, piended addition projecting at centre, lean-to adjoining this and main block to left.

Timber windows with 4-pane glazing to bull?s-eyes, 12-pane sashes and iron bars to large windows.

Graded grey slates, 2 timber louvred ridge ventilators flanking dome with finials.

INTERIOR: original stalls with cast-iron columns with ball finials and and decorative screens over boarded timber stall divides.

Statement of Interest

Good reports that the belfry contains an old church bell dated 1715. Stables form part of the A-group of The Drum Estate buildings: The Drum, East Lodges (In Newton Parish Midlothian), Gardeners' Cottages, Icehouses, Mercat Cross, Steading, Walled Garden, West Lodge, Drumbank and North Gatepiers, all listed separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.