History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Dalkeith Road, the Drum, Drumbank with Stables, Cottages (Outbuildings) and Walled Garden

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9123 / 55°54'44"N

Longitude: -3.1173 / 3°7'2"W

OS Eastings: 330258

OS Northings: 669368

OS Grid: NT302693

Mapcode National: GBR 60N2.XF

Mapcode Global: WH6SV.2NVD

Entry Name: Old Dalkeith Road, the Drum, Drumbank with Stables, Cottages (Outbuildings) and Walled Garden

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Last Amended: 15 April 1996

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 365488

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28059

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Liberton/Gilmerton

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Liberton

Description

Circa 1845. Villa with unsual assemblage of classical detailing. 2-storey with single storey and attic wings. Rendered with polished ashlar dressings; base course, cill course at 1st floor, cornice and blocking course. Timber sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing pattern.

E (FRONT) ELEVATION: 2 shallow steps with stone baulstrade to central advanced bay, Ionic pilasters at 1st floor with shallow block pediment with urn breaking eaves. Door in round-arched, rusticated recess, 6-panel, 2-leaf door with fanlight over. Windows at ground floor with channelled surrounds, 1st floor windows with Egyptian-style, block pediments. Corners rusticated at ground floor, chamfered at 1st with engaged Ionic columns and block pedimented windows, wrought-iron balconies.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: plain in contrast; mouldings not continued, projecting stair tower to centre with tall stair window, window to each floor of house. Single storey piended wings have window to W, bull's-eye window to front, door on return and central gablehead to attic with window.

Peind-roofed with grey slates, harled end stacks with simple cornice.

STABLES AND COTTAGES: courtyard to S entered from E through ashlar gatepiers, comprising 2-storey stable and loft, and 3 single storey 3-bay piend-roofed cottages, random rubble with ashlar dressings, most retain original openings although some boarded up.

WALLED GARDEN: to W; random rubble walls with flat ashlar copes, triangular on-plan pavilion (dovecot) built into SW corner with door at ground floor.

Statement of Interest

Forms part of The Drum Estate A group, comprising The Drum, East Lodges (in Newton Parish Midlothian), Gardeners' Cottages, Icehouses, Mercat Cross, Stables, Steading, Waled Garden, West Lodge and the North Gatepiers all of which are listed separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.