History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

35 and 37 Fernielaw Avenue, Fernielaw House with Washhouse, Privy, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9004 / 55°54'1"N

Longitude: -3.2641 / 3°15'50"W

OS Eastings: 321058

OS Northings: 668200

OS Grid: NT210682

Mapcode National: GBR 50N6.4P

Mapcode Global: WH6SR.TYWJ

Entry Name: 35 and 37 Fernielaw Avenue, Fernielaw House with Washhouse, Privy, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 12 December 1974

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 365505

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28072

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Colinton

Description

Mid 18th century and later, 2-storey and attic former farmhouse with Leadbetter, Fairlie and Reid 1913, single-storey and attic, L-plan service wing to W incorporating earlier fabric (see Notes). Main house (number 37) with Venetian window to N elevation; later 19th century crowstepped bay to NE corner with 1913 door and forestair; mid 19th century semi-octagonal bay and later 19th century oriel to S elevation. Service wing (number 35) advanced from main house to N and W; nepus gable to E elevation, 1913 former boiler-house outshot below; crow-stepped dormers breaking eaves to S elevation; swept dormers breaking eaves to N and W elevations. Harled stone with ashlar door and window dressings; ochre-washed to number 37; whitewashed to number 35. Eaves course to E and S elevations of former service wing. Crowstepped gables throughout.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: main house (number 37): forestair with cast-iron railings to boarded oak front door within roll-moulded and corniced architrave frame to later 19th century crowstepped bay to outer left; window above, vent to gable apex; finialled, bracketed, cast-iron lantern above door. Architraved former door-way to outer right, now containing window; Venetian window above. Irregular fenestration including staircase window to central bays. Former Service wing (number 35) advanced to right: irregularly fenestrated gable-end; E (left) return with central shouldered nepus gable; small crowstepped outshot at ground (former boiler-house) with vented timber boarded door.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: stepped composition. Main gable of house with later 19th century advanced 2-storey gabled bay to outer right; smaller 2-storey, 1913, outshot in re-entrant angle.

S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: main house, 3 bays to right: semi-octagonal 2-storey advanced bay to centre with glazed door at ground; windows to returns; single window to 1st floor; bandcourse, cornice and blocking course. Canted oriel to left at 1st floor. 1913 bipartite piend-roofed dormers to attic. Piend-roofed former service wing 3 bays to left: crowstepped dormers breaking eaves to outer bays; piend-roofed dormer breaking eaves to centre. Glazed garden door with adjoining window at ground to right.

W AND N ELEVATIONS, NUMBER 35: former kitchen courtyard. 3 bays to W, 2 bays to N. Swept dormers breaking eaves. Half-glazed timber panelled door to inner bay of N elevation; small window above. Fairly regular fenestration elsewhere.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate. Coped stacks with decorative clay cans.

FORMER WASH HOUSE AND PRIVY: small pantiled wash house in kitchen courtyard. Window to S; timber boarded door to E; chimney stack with clay can to NW. Privy with timber boarded door adjoining to E.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATE PIERS: ashlar-coped random rubble boundary walls. Pyramidal capped and corniced gatepiers to number 37; cylindrical gate piers to main entrance drive (see Notes).

Statement of Interest

An attractive eighteenth century farmhouse, much altered at various times in the nineteenth century, and considerably extended in 1913 by the architects Leadbetter, Fairley and Reid. The original part of the house is the taller section to the E (excepting the crowstepped addition to the NE, which was built between the publication of the 1855 and 1894 OS maps). The front door was moved to its present position in 1913; the previous front door also had a flight of steps leading up to it, at right-angles to the house, that extended slightly further than boiler house. The semi-octagonal bay to the S elevation appears on the 1854 OS map, and is estimated to have been built circa 1840. The oriel window is slightly later. Maps and the Dean of Guild plans show that there were originally buildings to the W and N, and the Dean of Guild plans show that the ground floor of the present N wing incorporates much of this earlier fabric. The boundary wall encloses the former curtilage of Fernielaw House and also surrounds numbers 27 (the old stables) and 29 (a modern house) Fernielaw Avenue. Fernielaw Avenue was once the drive to Fernielaw House, and there are gateposts at the foot of Fernielaw Avenue that are similar to the ones at Fernielaw House. The modern conservatory attached to the W gable of Number 35, is not included in this List.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.