This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9188 / 55°55'7"N
Longitude: -3.1479 / 3°8'52"W
OS Eastings: 328354
OS Northings: 670116
OS Grid: NT283701
Mapcode National: GBR 8YT.VS
Mapcode Global: WH6ST.MH6F
Entry Name: Kingston Grange (Liberton Golf Club), 297 Gilmerton Avenue, Edinburgh
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365517
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28083
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Liberton/Gilmerton
Traditional County: Midlothian
Originally Robert Adam, 1785-8, small classical mansion house, substantially enlarged circa 1840 in Jacobean style; further later 20th century additions to rear (NW) in open landscaped setting facing golf course on ground sloping to N. 2- and 3-storey, 5-bay, square plan, basement and attic, with 18th century Roman Doric column doorpiece recast into 19th century entrance elevation (SE); shouldered gables topped with single tall octagonal chimneystacks. Narrow coursed ashlar to 1840 additions, rendered to 18th century section, architraves, deep rubble base course to sides, bandcourse, 18th century corniced eaves course, strip quoins, corniced skews.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5 bays, arranged 1-1-3. Paired Roman Doric columned porch with later blocking course to advanced shouldered gabled central section; window above porch surmounted with strapwork panel, small window to gable apex. Slightly advanced 3-light square-plan bay to left.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-storey, canted 4-light bay to right. Rendered bays stepped back to left; single storey 20th century additions advanced to far left.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-light mullioned bay with blocking course to left, pair of small windows to gable apex. Rendered bays slightly stepped back to right with 20th century flat roof extension to far right.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 18th century section with bowed centre bay obscured at ground floor by later 20th century flat roof extension.
Variety of glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; pitched and piended roofs; grey slates; corniced ridge stacks to 18th century section with some clay cans, shafted octagonal gable apex stacks to 1840s section.
INTERIOR: (seen, 2012). Some elements remain of Adam house room layout to rear of property; open-well curved stone stair with timber banister; some cornicing and classical fire surrounds. Glazed timber revolving entrance door; entrance hallway with prominent cantilevered stone stair with metal balusters. Some decorative plaster work cornicing to principal rooms; some decorative and classical fire surrounds. Panelled timber doors and some working timber shutters.
Kingston Grange, originally built as Sunnyside House for Patrick Inglis, is a substantial Jacobean country house with some earlier elements of the Robert Adam classical scheme remaining. There is some good architectural detailing remaining in parts of the building. Sunnyside was one of Adam's minor commissions and only the drawing room survives from late 18th century period. The layout of the house was substantially altered in the 19th century and included the reorientation of the entrance from the north to south elevation. A large later 20th century addition to the north-east elevation covers a significant proportion of the Adam frontage.
Kingston Grange has been the home to the Liberton Golf Club since 1922 (the club itself was founded in 1920).
Scotland is intrinsically linked with the sport of golf and it was the birthplace of the modern game played over 18 holes. So popular was golf in medieval Scotland that it was a dangerous distraction from maintaining military skills in archery and James II prohibited the playing of 'gowf' and football in 1457.
The 'Articles and Laws in Playing Golf', a set of rules whose principles still underpin the game's current regulations, were penned in 1744 by the Company of Gentlemen Golfers (now The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers). Improved transport links and increased leisure time as well as a rise in the middle classes from the mid 19th century onwards increased the popularity of the sport with another peak taking place in the early 1900s.
List description updated and category changed from B to C as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13). Statutory address amended from 'Kingston Grange Kingston Avenue'.
Other nearby listed buildings