This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9037 / 55°54'13"N
Longitude: -3.1817 / 3°10'54"W
OS Eastings: 326213
OS Northings: 668469
OS Grid: NT262684
Mapcode National: GBR 6065.ZK
Mapcode Global: WH6ST.3W51
Entry Name: Frogston Road East, Mortonhall House, Stable Court and Granary
Listing Date: 14 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365539
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28097
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Liberton/Gilmerton
Traditional County: Midlothian
Probably John Baxter, 1769, contemporary with house to SW. Large, classical, symmetrical, quadrangular former stable court with former granary adjoining to SE. Squared and coursed rubble with stugged ashlar pavilions and droved ashlar dressings and margins to principal (SW) elevation. Roughly squared and coursed rubble with stugged ashlar dressings behind. Timber sash and case windows, most retaining 12-pane glazing pattern.
SW ELEVATION: single storey. Tall segmental-arched pend breaking eaves at centre, with Doric columned blind portico in polished ashlar, pediment and entablature, apex die and weather-vane. 3 tall windows to each side. Advanced piended pavilions with rusticated quoins, large basket arch to each now glazed.
SE ELEVATION: doorway to end pavilion with bracketed doorpiece and 4-pane strip fanlight flanked by enlarged windows, single window at 1st floor. Range continues to E, 2-storey, doors to offices at ground, 6 windows at first floor with 9-pane glazing pattern.
NE ELEVATION: altered, with segmental-arched pend and steps with stone forestair. Some slit openings blocked at 1st floor.
NW ELEVATION: 2 windows to pavilion return, range continues as single storey offices with tall windows close under eaves.
COURTYARD: not symmetrical, many openings altered later. Pend opens onto court in advanced, gabled bay with 2 segmentally arched cart-shed openings to left and 3-bay office to right with central door and 2 windows. NW range with 3 doorways with 6-pane lights over, window openings later. NE elevation with 2 basket arches at right, 1 leading through to another forming rear exit.
Grey slates, corniced ashlar ridge stacks. Ventilators to roof at NW corner.
Stone setts to courtyard, laid in circular pattern around central stone platform.
Rubble wall with pedestrian gate links stables to:
former GRANARY to SE, probably later, recessed beside principal stables elevation, 2-storey, piended, rubble with stugged ashlar dressings. Small round openings at ground floor, lobed ventilator slits to former granary loft above. Door at ground floor & 3 windows at 1st floor at rear.
Stable court now (1995) in mixed office, bar and restaurant use, the SE wing and granary also provide toilet and laundry facilities for camp site to E. Mortonhall House and its associated buildings are listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings