This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.949 / 55°56'56"N
Longitude: -3.2403 / 3°14'25"W
OS Eastings: 322638
OS Northings: 673583
OS Grid: NT226735
Mapcode National: GBR 8CG.4X
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.6Q7R
Entry Name: 66 Murrayfield Avenue and Succoth Avenue, Murrayfield House, Including Wing
Listing Date: 14 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365543
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28100
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1735. 3-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan classical main block. Harled with painted margins and strip quoins. Segmental pediment to doorway; raised triangular pediment breaking eaves above Venetian window to centre of front elevation; urns to apex and, on pedestals with flanking volutes, to sides; skews.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf panelled timber door with multi-paned fanlight to centre at ground; single window to floor above; Venetian window to 2nd floor above, with keystoned, round-arched central light and boarded flanking lights; windows to all flanking bays, all floors, tallest windows at ground, shortest at 2nd floor.
12-pane timber sash and case glazing. Grey slate roof; coped gablehead stacks with moulded cylindrical cans.
WING AT NE:
Circa 1780. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, symmetrical wing at NE. Snecked and coursed sandstone rubble to front elevation; harling to sides. Stone margins, cill course to 1st floor, strip quoins; cornice and blocking course.
Round-arched windows with infilled heads to bays at ground (central window entirely blocked); large window to each bay at 1st floor; blocked Venetian window at 1st floor, NE side elevation.
12-pane timber sash and case glazing. Grey slate piended roof with lead flashing.
INTERIOR: sensitively renovated, with retention of original fireplaces including pedimented overmantels. Other original features remain, notably cornices and doorframes throughout, as well as individual features such as panelled cupboard in front ground floor room at SW. 2-storey glazed corridor to rear at SW links to modern nursing-home buildings which form square courtyard by re-joining NE wing from rear.
The Murrayfield Estate was originally called Nisbet Park but after its purchase by Archibald Murray, in 1734, it was renamed Murrayfield. Murrayfield House was built by the new owner and it is probable that his architect was John Douglas; the house has motifs that were characteristic of Douglas' oeuvre, including an emphatic Serlian window and oversized urns. In 1773, Alexander Murray (later Lord Henderland) inherited the estate from his father and proceeded to make alterations, which included the addition of the east wing. It is likely that he had also intended to build a symmetrical wing to the west, but this never materialised. Campbell Avenue, to the W of Murrayfield House, is on the site of an original tree avenue that belonged to the Murrayfield estate; Campbell Avenue is lined with trees to the site and these may have been part of the original avenue. Similarly, Succoth Avenue, to the N, is also on the site of an older avenue. Unfortunately, an avenue of trees no longer survives there.
Other nearby listed buildings