This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9468 / 55°56'48"N
Longitude: -3.1915 / 3°11'29"W
OS Eastings: 325682
OS Northings: 673283
OS Grid: NT256732
Mapcode National: GBR 8PH.0Q
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.YSDG
Entry Name: 30-34 (Even Nos) Candlemaker Row, Greyfriars' Bobby's Bar
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 366293
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28415
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 18th century with later alterations and additions. 2-storey and attic 5-bay house; ground floor built out as public house (Dunn and Findlay, 1893). Random rubble with ashlar dressings. Piend-roofed slated dormers to attic.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: tabbed bipartite windows to 2 outer left bays at ground, flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters. 4 arcaded bays to right, glazed doors in 1st and 3rd bays from right. Regularly fenestrated above.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: door in corniced surround to left; 2 irregular windows (barred) in red sandstone surrounds to right. Remains of other smaller windows, now blocked.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey and semi -basement. Lodge of Greyfriars Churchyard (separately listed) adjoining.
INTERIOR: largely modern.
12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to upper floors. small-pane glazing in fixed windows to public house. Grey slates; stone skews. Corniced gablehead stack; very broad rubble-built wallhead stacks to rear.
B group comprises Nos 1-5 Forrest Road, 1-3 Greyfriars Place, 4-6 Greyfriars Place, 30-34 Candlemaker Row (Greyfriars Bobby's Bar), 36-42 Candlemaker Row (including Candlemaker Hall), 44 Candlemaker Row, 46-48 Candlemaker Row, 50-54 Candlemaker Row, 56 and 56A Candlemaker Row and 58-64 Candlemaker Row. Rear elevations of group form eastern boundary of Greyfriars churchyard, setting for an important group of mural monuments. While several of the elevations to Candlemaker Row show signs of considerable later rebuilding, the random rubble rear elevations, while not unaltered, have a fairly homogenous early 18th century vernacular appearance. Nos 30-34 are shown in very much their present form, but without the ground floor shop/public house front, in Wilson's Memorials.
Other nearby listed buildings