This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9488 / 55°56'55"N
Longitude: -3.1962 / 3°11'46"W
OS Eastings: 325395
OS Northings: 673505
OS Grid: NT253735
Mapcode National: GBR 8NH.20
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.WQ5Z
Entry Name: 356 Castlehill and 2 Castle Wynd North, Cannonball House
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 366450
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28491
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 17th century with later alterations and additions (see Notes) including John Carfrae, 1913. 2-storey, semi-basement and attic tenement with lower gabled wings to rear. Random rubble with ashlar dressings. Long and short quoins.
N (CASTLEHILL) ELEVATION: 8 bays: 3 2-window nepus gables with apex stacks to left; lintel courses over attic windows. Stone steps with swept coped parapet to studded timber boarded door in roll-moulded surround to outer right; carved shield (worn) and inscription (NOSCE [TEIPSUM]) in lintel (removed from elsewhere in building).
W (CASTLE WYND NORTH) ELEVATION: gabled side elevation of block to Castlehill to left: irregularly fenestrated, some windows with stone grooves for shutters; wallhead stack. Single bay block to right with swept roof, stepped to slope of ground; ball-finialled gabled dormer to attic with initials in lintel (see Notes).
E ELEVATION: much altered 1913 (see Notes): E gable with 3 tall windows to 1st and 2nd floors, that to centre at 2nd floor with balustered apron, notched pilasters, inscription on lintel (see Notes), and aedicule over. Pend arch on moulded corbel to outer left. Scrolled skewputts to gable.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: gable end of SW extension to left; irregularly fenestrated; small windows, some with shutters which slide in original stone grooves. 2-window nepus S gables of main block visible behind. Remains of mid 18th century block to right mainly obscured by later additions.
Small-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Stone skews. Coped rubble stacks with circular cans.
Cannonball House takes its name from a cannonball embedded in its W gable; how this got there is uncertain. The earliest part of the building is the rectangular block to Castlehill. In the mid 18th century the bay to outer left was added, and the 3 nepus gables built. The lower wing to SW was built in 1630 by Alexander Mure, a skinner and Burgess of Edinburgh, whose initials, and those of his wife, Margaret Niellems, are in the pediment of the attic dormer. In 1913 Cannonball house was incorporated into Castlehill School (separately listed) by John Carfrae for the Edinburgh School Board. The interior was gutted and reconstructed as classrooms and offices. The previous interior is described by Wilson. The inscription in the lintel of the E gable reads ESB 1913, that in aedicule 'Cannonball House.'
Other nearby listed buildings