This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9462 / 55°56'46"N
Longitude: -3.1916 / 3°11'29"W
OS Eastings: 325674
OS Northings: 673210
OS Grid: NT256732
Mapcode National: GBR 8PH.0Y
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.YSBZ
Entry Name: 1-4 (Inclusive Nos) Forrest Hill
Listing Date: 8 May 1975
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 367308
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28771
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Samuel Neilson (mason), William McVey and James Heriot (wrights), 1739-43, with later alterations and additions (see Notes). 4-storey and attic L-plan tenement with crowstepped gable, remnant of former Edinburgh Charity Work House. Harled rubble; ashlar margins to both doors and windows except on gable.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay wing to right: boarded timber door with 3-pane fanlight up steps with cast-iron railings; 3 windows lighting stair above. Remainder regularly fenestrated; slate-hung dormers to attic. Gable-end to left (formerly junction to demolished main block): boarded timber door with 8-pane fanlight in chamfered ashlar surround to centre; single windows above.
E ELEVATION: 2-bays, regularly fenestrated; slated dormers to attic above.
W ELEVATION: 2 bays, regularly fenestrated; gablehead chimney with window to attic in gable to left. Abuts single bay return to N.
N ELEVATION: 3-storey and attic; harled; 3-bays to right, mansard roof; regularly fenestrated. 5 bays to left: regularly fenestrated; stone-mullioned bipartites to centre bay; slated dormers to attic.
Grey slates. Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Corniced harled gablehead chimneys with circular cans.
Incorporates the remains of the N wing and 2 bays of the main block of the U-plan Charity Workhouse, demolished circa 1870. The Charity Workhouse appears complete on the 1854 OS map, and with only the N section remaining on the 1877 map, the remainder having been replaced by the Volunteer Drill Hall. Dean of Guild drawings by John Hay show the Charity Workhouse and the alterations being made.
Other nearby listed buildings