History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

74-84 (Even Nos) Grassmarket

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9479 / 55°56'52"N

Longitude: -3.1954 / 3°11'43"W

OS Eastings: 325444

OS Northings: 673407

OS Grid: NT254734

Mapcode National: GBR 8NH.7B

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.WRKM

Entry Name: 74-84 (Even Nos) Grassmarket

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 367828

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28942

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

17th century (dated 1634), rebuilt 1929-30, Ebebezer J MacRae. 4-storey and attic 5-bay tenement with public house to ground floor; lower advanced stair tower to centre. Random rubble. Relieving arches to 1st and 2nd floor windows. Taller 2 bay block to left: steep roof with piend-roofed dormer; crowstepped gable to right. Lower 2 bay block to right with catslide roof: crowstepped dormerhead to 3rd floor breaking eaves; small window in gable. Projecting stair tower: rollmoulded doorway; original lintel stone (see Notes); moulded string course to 1st and 2nd floors. Modern front to public house.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Corniced ashlar end stacks with circular cans. Graded grey slates

Statement of Interest

Lintel (now very worn) dated 1634 and inscribed 'Blessed be God for all his Giftis' between initials IL and GK, standing for James Lightbodie and his wife Geillis, daughter of Walter Kniblo. Old photographs (NMRS) show that the elevation was drastically altered for the City by MacRae, moving the stair tower to the centre and widening it, narrowing the 2 bays to left and right, and removing the wallhead chimney of that to left. The long rectangle of Grassmarket was already a suburb and a secondary market place by 1500. After the Battle of Flodden in 1513 the city walls were strengthened and the Grassmarket and Cowgate enclosed by the Flodden Wall. Agricultural produce was sold in the Grassmarket until well into the 20th century; old photographs show up-ended carts and the bars and hostels associated with the market. It was also a place of public execution.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.