This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9484 / 55°56'54"N
Longitude: -3.195 / 3°11'41"W
OS Eastings: 325470
OS Northings: 673464
OS Grid: NT254734
Mapcode National: GBR 8NH.B4
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.WRR7
Entry Name: 1-13 (Inclusive Nos) Johnston Terrace and Victoria Terrace
Listing Date: 9 September 1982
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 368534
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29193
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Smith and Hardy, 1862, and George Roberts, 1866, with later alterations (see Notes). 3-storey (later Mansard) 21-bay terrace of tenements with shops to ground floor, flats above, curved to line of Johnston Terrace, and to Victoria Terrace to rear. Lightly droved ashlar (painted to ground); squared and snecked stugged sandstone to rear. Dividing bands between ground and 1st floors and between 1st and 2nd floors; eaves cornice and blocking course. Roll-moulded surrounds to windows. 9-bay block to left: 3 storeys to Johnston Terrace, 5 storeys to Victoria Terrace; 3 bays to outer left pedimented front and rear. 6-bay block to centre: 4 storeys and mansard-roofed attic to Johnston Terrace; 6 storeys to Victoria Terrace (sweeping curve, dividing band between 2nd and 3rd floors). 6-bay block to right: 3-storeys and mansard-roofed attic to Johnston Terrace; 5 storeys to Victoria Terrace. Regularly fenestrated. Timber panelled doors to flats with plate glass fanlights; 2-leaf timber panelled storm doors to shops.
4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Tall end and axial corniced ashlar stacks with circular cans.
Important townscape feature. The curved terrace leading to the Lawnmarket has a good original run of shops; the tall sweeping curve of the rear elevation forms an effective backdrop to Victoria Street and the Grassmarket. The Dean of Guild drawings show that the 1st 3 bays to left at Johnston Terrace, in their present form but without the pediment, were designed by Smith and Hardy as a warehouse for Archibald Little; the 18 bays to right were designed and built by George Roberts. Johnston Terrace formed the principal element of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Western Approach to the city. Hamilton was appointed architect to the Commissioners of the 1827 Improvement Act, and carried out the 2 major town planning initiatives for which they were responsible - the W approach - King's Bridge and Johnston Terrace, and the S approach - George IV Bridge, and the link to the Grassmarket - Victoria Street. Hamilton was replaced as architect to the Commissioners in 1834 by George Smith.
Other nearby listed buildings