This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9451 / 55°56'42"N
Longitude: -3.1958 / 3°11'45"W
OS Eastings: 325410
OS Northings: 673100
OS Grid: NT254731
Mapcode National: GBR 8NJ.4B
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.WTCR
Entry Name: 16 and 18 Lauriston Place, Including Boundary Wall Gate and Railings
Listing Date: 12 December 1974
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 368588
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29218
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1819. 4-storey and basement 4-bay terraced classical tenement, slightly taller than neighbour to right, and slightly advanced from those to left and right, set back behind small garden. Cream ashlar, channelled to ground, lightly droved above and to basement; rubble to rear. Dividing band between ground and 1st floors; cill courses to 1st and 3rd; moulded eaves course, raised to sides and centre. Stone steps and platts with cast-iron railings over-arching basement areas to timber panelled doors with umbrella fanlights in round-arched recessed openings in 2nd and 4th bays from left. Corniced and moulded surrounds to 1st floor windows; projecting cills and architraved surrounds to 2nd.
12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced rendered stacks with circular cans to ridge.
BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: low coped ashlar boundary wall with spear-headed cast-iron railings; spear-headed finials to cast-iron gate; pine cone finials to gateposts.
B group comprises Nos 8, 10-14, 16 and 18, 20-24, 26 and 28, 30 and 32, 34 and 36, and 38-44 Lauriston Place. Nos 16-36 were built across the front garden of Mr Keir's 18th century villa (marked on Kincaid's 1784 map of Edinburgh), demolished by 1820. Together they form an imposing ensemble, with advanced and enriched pavilions to centre and ends. Keir Street, Heriot Place and Nos 8-44 Lauriston Place were restored (including the removal of shops built out in the late 19th century in Lauriston Place) by TM Grey for the Lister Housing Co-operative in 1977-81, and awarded Saltire Society and Civic Trust Awards in 1982 and 1983 respectively.
Other nearby listed buildings