This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9463 / 55°56'46"N
Longitude: -3.216 / 3°12'57"W
OS Eastings: 324155
OS Northings: 673255
OS Grid: NT241732
Mapcode National: GBR 8JH.2W
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.KSSV
Entry Name: 272-278 (Even Nos) Morrison Street and 11-14 (Inclusive Nos) West Maitland Street
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 368826
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29291
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
James Haldane, 1825, with later alterations and additions. 3-storey tenement block on corner site, comprising 7-bay elevation to Morrison Street with shops built out at ground floor, 4-bay elevation to West Maitland Street and 7-bay linking corner elevation between with 3-bay central bow and pub built out at ground floor. Polished sandstone ashlar to upper floors with polished sandstone dressings. Projecting cills to 1st floor, cill course to 2nd floor of Morrison Street elevation; string course above 2nd floor windows to corner elevation and to West Maitland Street; cornice and blocking course at eaves, raised at central bay to Morrison Street elevation and at end bays to corner elevation and to West Maitland Street. Bays to corner, and terminal bays to West Maitland Street divided by giant pilasters.
S (MORRISON STREET) ELEVATION: timber panelled door with large rectangular fanlight offset to left of centre at ground floor; modern shop front with recessed door offset to right spanning 3 bays to right; modern shop front with plate glass door to outer left, spanning 3 bays to left; regular fenestration to upper floors (blocked, 2 bays to outer left); door to right of return to pub frontage at ground floor to outer left.
NW (WEST MAITLAND STREET) ELEVATION: modern timber panelled pub frontage spanning 3 bays to right at ground floor, with 2-leaf boarded doors to left of centre; regularly fenestrated above (2 bays to right at 2nd floor blocked); stone flight to round-arched doorway with voussoirs in bay to outer left; timber panelled door with infilled fanlight; window at floors above.
SW (CORNER) ELEVATION: curved modern timber panelled pub frontage spanning bays at ground floor (with 2-leaf boarded doors offset to right of centre); centred 3-light bowed bay, regularly fenestrated, to centre of upper floors; regular fenestration to flanking bays, upper storeys.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
Modern plate glass windows at ground floor; 12-pane timber sash and case windows above. Roof material not visible. Mixture of coped rendered and coped sandstone ashlar stacks with cylindrical cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Part of James Haldane's Morrison Street development, which extends further east. This westernmost section, complete by 1830, was one of the first parts of the street to be erected. The imposing corner block with its bowed central bay facing Haymarket is described by Gifford et al as, a 'splendid marker of the entry to the town centre'.
Other nearby listed buildings