This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9464 / 55°56'46"N
Longitude: -3.2153 / 3°12'55"W
OS Eastings: 324198
OS Northings: 673257
OS Grid: NT241732
Mapcode National: GBR 8JH.6W
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.LS4T
Entry Name: 252-264 (Even Nos) Morrison Street, Including Railings
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 369178
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29378
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Mid to later 19th century, with later alterations and additions. 3-storey over basement, 14-bay, palace-fronted symmetrical tenement block within terrace, with 4-bay advanced, pedimented central pavilion with built out pub frontage at ground floor. Droved sandstone ashlar at basement; polished sandstone ashlar above with polished dressings. Band course between basement and ground and between ground and 1st floors; cill course to 1st and 2nd floors; cornice and blocking course above. Plain architraves to openings; recessed aprons to windows at ground floor; consoles flank aprons beneath projecting cills to windows at 1st floor central group; bracketed projecting cills to windows above. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: modern pub fascia spanning central 4 bays with 2-leaf timber panelled doors to outer left and right; regular fenestration above. 5-bay group to right: part-glazed door with rectangular fanlight at basement in bay to centre; windows to remaining bays at basement; deep-set timber panelled door with rectangular fanlight to central bay and to bay to outer left at ground floor; windows to remaining bays at ground floor and to all bays upper floors. 5-bay group to left: mirrored, identical arrangement with doors at ground floor in centre and outer right bays.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: adjoining No 266 to W and number 250 to E.
N ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
2-pane timber sash and case windows; modern plate glass windows to pub front. Roof material not visible. Coped blocking course. Evenly disposed rendered and coped stacks with cylindrical cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
RAILINGS: fleur-de-lys-headed cast-iron railings (plain to basement steps) with acanthus bud finial (some missing) to shafts flanking basement steps, mounted on ashlar cope; pair of free-standing, cast-iron tapered polygonal lamp standards (globes missing) with segmental-arched link to No 254.
Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Part of James Haldane's Morrison development, dating from 1825, which extends further west and round the corner, back up West Maitland Street. Occupying a substantial swathe of the west end of Morrison Street, this block was not built for several decades - as study of the 1853 OS Map, from which it is absent, demonstrates. It retains decorative fleur-de-lys-headed railings and paired lamp standards to No 254, a rare survival.
Other nearby listed buildings