This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9573 / 55°57'26"N
Longitude: -3.1704 / 3°10'13"W
OS Eastings: 327019
OS Northings: 674430
OS Grid: NT270744
Mapcode National: GBR 8TC.9Y
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.8JJD
Entry Name: 2-6 (Inclusive Numbers) East Norton Place and 53-61 (Odd Numbers) Montrose Terrace
Listing Date: 19 April 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 369402
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29460
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Craigentinny/Duddingston
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1820. Flat-iron tenement block, 4 storeys, 10 bays to East Norton Place, 3 storeys, 12 bays to Montrose Terrace, with 3-window bowed, balustraded corner bay. Coursed ashlar. Eaves cornice and parapet. Regularly fenestrated. 2-leaf timber panelled door with border glazed fanlight to No 61 at corner.
NE (EAST NORTON PLACE) ELEVATION: band courses between floors. Triangular pediment to 3 bays to left. Timber-panelled door in corniced and pilastered doorpiece to 4th bay from left; timber panelled doors in 2nd and 5th bays from right; later 2-leaf glazed door with narrow flanking windows at No 3.
SE (MONTROSE TERRACE) ELEVATION: base course, string course to ground floor, cill courses at 1st and 2nd floors. Projecting cills to ground floor windows. Timber-panelled doors with border glazed fanlights in corniced and pilastered doorpieces in 3rd bay from left and 5th bay from right; timber panelled door with border glazed fanlight in 5th bay from left.
Predominantly 12-pane sash and case windows; many blind windows, particularly towards Montrose Terrace. Piended roof; grey slates; corniced stacks with circular cans.
The striking end block of a good run of early 19th century tenement blocks, on an important route into central Edinburgh. The easterly end of the street appears on the edge of Thomas Brown's Plan of the City of Edinburgh (revised by John Wood), 1823. The Montrose Terrace was originally called Norton Place as these tenements were built on land belonging to Baron Norton, whose house stood on the site now occupied by Abbeyhill primary school. Baron Norton was born Hon. Fletcher Norton of Grantley in Yorkshire. He was made Attorney General of England in 1762 and elevated to the Peerage in 1782. He later moved to Edinburgh, where he was Baron of the Exchequer for 44 years, until his death in 1820. This building was extensively renovated in 1999.
Other nearby listed buildings