This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9089 / 55°54'31"N
Longitude: -3.2613 / 3°15'40"W
OS Eastings: 321251
OS Northings: 669136
OS Grid: NT212691
Mapcode National: GBR 86Y.WB
Mapcode Global: WH6SR.WR62
Entry Name: 8 Pentland Avenue with Boundary Wall and Gate
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 369475
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29483
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead
Traditional County: Midlothian
James M Thomson's Office, 1904; alteration to door, 1909; additions by James D Cairns, 1923. 2-storey, 3-bay harled Arts and Crafts house with Arts and Crafts doorpiece to side. Symmetrical S (front) elevation with three 5-light canted windows at ground (central window, 1923); outer 2 rising into over-sailing gables with bipartite first floor windows; swept roof to centre with flat-roofed bipartite dormer. 1923 single-storey block to right with canted corner corbelled to square and recent French door. Entrance to W (now in modern conservatory) with Studio inspired Arts and Crafts detail; tapered timber pilasters with carved hearts supporting bracketed cornice; curvilinear pediment above with carved sun to centre; half-glazed timber-boarded door with leaded lights. Rear elevation with 1923 asymmetrical gable to right and 1923 advanced gable to left; late twentieth century extension at ground.
Predominantly small-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Harled corniced stacks with tall red clay cans. Red tiled roof with crested ridge tiles.
INTERIOR: entrance lobby with stained glass leaded lights in timber panelled door. Depressed arches in hall and upstairs landing. Timber staircase with turner balusters. 1923 elliptical arch between sitting and dining rooms with prominent "keystone" and 2-leaf, half-glazed timber panelled door and side lights. Picture rail in sitting room. Decorative cornices in ground floor rooms. Timber panelled doors throughout.
BOUNDARY WALL: coped random rubble boundary wall.
Formerly called Restenneth. A good Arts and Crafts House with a delightful doorpiece and nice interior, in a prominent position on Pentland Avenue. The previous list description (written in 1979) mentions unsigned Dean of Guild plans by Thomas Hardie, builder, which now (2003) seem to be lost.
Other nearby listed buildings