This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9467 / 55°56'48"N
Longitude: -3.2191 / 3°13'8"W
OS Eastings: 323958
OS Northings: 673304
OS Grid: NT239733
Mapcode National: GBR 8HH.FR
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.JS9J
Entry Name: 6, 7 and 8 Rosebery Crescent, Including Railings
Listing Date: 10 December 1964
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 369822
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29660
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
John Chesser, later 19th century. Terrace of 3, 3-storey with basement, 2-bay plain classical houses with 3-light canted bays. Polished, coursed, sandstone ashlar, droved at basement. No 6 advanced. Base course; cill course to 1st and 2nd floors; corniced doorpiece comprising abbreviated pilasters flanking margin-framed doorway; cornice; blocking course; skews.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: part-glazed door and fanlight to centre of each house at basement; window beneath platt at right, light to each face of canted bay at left, all floors; part-glazed timber doors with rectangular fanlights (with astragals to No 7) to doorpieces at bay to right at ground of each house; single window at floors above.
4-pane timber sash and case windows. Concealed roof; coped mutual stacks, mostly with tall cans; ashlar wallhead stack to No 6; cast-iron rainwater goods.
RAILINGS: fleur-de-lys iron railings to oversailing entrance platts and, set in coping, to street.
Part of New Town A-Group. Seemingly the work of John Chesser, although the street as a whole was originally conceived as the southern entrance to Grosvenor and Lansdowne Crescents, the overall scheme of which was devised by Robert Matheson. It is therefore likely these buildings were executed some time after Matheson's 12-21 Lansdowne Crescent of 1865, and the quality of the stone is somewhat inferior to that used in the latter and, indeed, to that of No 9 Rosebery Street. Matheson was the Surveyor of Works in Scotland and had purchased the West Coates estate in 1860 as an investment. Chesser was the Superintendent of Works to Heriot's Trust.
Other nearby listed buildings