This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9078 / 55°54'28"N
Longitude: -3.2569 / 3°15'24"W
OS Eastings: 321519
OS Northings: 669011
OS Grid: NT215690
Mapcode National: GBR 87Y.SQ
Mapcode Global: WH6SR.YR7W
Entry Name: 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16 and 17 Spylaw Street
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 370296
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29822
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 19th century, remodelled by A L MacGibbon and Thomas Ross, circa 1900. Numbers 15-17 built 1900 by MacGibbon and Ross. Row of single storey harled cottages with pantiled roofs and bracketed eaves. Cottages stepped up hill, with break between numbers 11 and 12. Numbers 5-11 with porches. Number 17 at end of row, 2-storey with canted corner, corbelled out at 1st floor; kingposted bargeboards to gable; red sandstone ashlar dressings at ground floor. Originally 13 2- and 3-bay cottages, with central door and flanking windows (now 9 cottages). Painted ashlar window and door dressings. Timber panelled doors with plate glass or 2-pane fanlights. Bracketed timber porches to numbers 5, 7, and former number 6 (now window). Timber porches supported on log columns advanced over pavement to numbers 8, 10 and 11. No 17 with corniced doorway and flat-roofed dormer to W (Cuddies Lane).
6-pane upper and 2-pane lower sashes in timber sash and case windows. Coped gable-head stacks with clay cans. Ashlar-coped skews. Pantiled roofs with red ridge tiles.
A picturesque group, lending much character to Spylaw Street. It is possible that these cottages originally housed the workers who worked in the snuff-mills on the water of Leith. The Dean of Guild plans show numbers 15 and 16 to have each contained two 1-room flats leading off a central lobby: each flat comprised a kitchen with bed recess. It is likely that the other cottages were similarly arranged.
Other nearby listed buildings