History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

91 and 93 West Bow, Including Crocket's Land

A Category A Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9483 / 55°56'53"N

Longitude: -3.1947 / 3°11'41"W

OS Eastings: 325485

OS Northings: 673450

OS Grid: NT254734

Mapcode National: GBR 8NH.C6

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.WRWB

Entry Name: 91 and 93 West Bow, Including Crocket's Land

Listing Date: 21 April 1969

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 370560

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29904

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Circa 1705, with later alterations. 4-storey and attic tenement with shop to ground floor. Pink harled with stone margins (painted to ground); random rubble to rear. Stone steps to timber panelled door to flats (Crocket's Land) in corniced and pilastered surround to outer right. Later shopfront to left with inset glazed door, cast-iron gates, flanking windows and dentilled cornice with decorative consoles. Window margins continued horizontally to form decorative panels. Windows of outer left bay blocked. 2 windows in curvilinear gable; 2 oval flight holes above. Gabled rear elevation irregularly fenestrated.

4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Corniced apex chimney stalk with circular can (see Notes). Grey slates; terracotta ridge tiles.

Statement of Interest

Built circa 1705 by Thomas Crockett of Johnstounburn. Until after the 1827 Improvement Act West Bow was a steep Z-shaped street which climbed from the Grassmarket to Upper Bow at the foot of Castlehill. Most of the old buildings in West Bow were swept away to make room for the northern side of Victoria Street, built to link the Grassmarket with the new George IV Bridge. Before their demolition, Thomas Hamilton, the architect for the scheme, made careful elevational drawings of the buildings. As Hamilton's drawing shows, the first five houses at the lower end of the street on the W remain.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.