History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

95-99 (Odd Nos) West Bow

A Category A Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9482 / 55°56'53"N

Longitude: -3.1947 / 3°11'41"W

OS Eastings: 325484

OS Northings: 673445

OS Grid: NT254734

Mapcode National: GBR 8NH.C6

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.WRWC

Entry Name: 95-99 (Odd Nos) West Bow

Listing Date: 21 April 1969

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 370561

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29905

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Dated 1729. 4-storey and attic 5-bay tenement with shops to ground floor. Grey harl (both front and rear elevations) with stone margins (painted to ground). String course between ground and 1st floors. Door to shop to left in corniced surround with letterbox fanlight, flanked by windows (modern glazing). Central passageway to rear of block. 2-leaf timber panelled glazed door to right in stop-chamfered lugged architrave with broken pediment (date inscription within), flanked by windows (modern glazing). Irregularly fenestrated. 2 2-window nepus gables; that to left fleur-de lys-finialled, that to right with apex stack. Gable with apex stack to rear.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Stone skews. Corniced apex and end stacks with and circular cans.

Statement of Interest

Built by Janet McMath (widow of James Johnston, poultryman). Until after the 1827 Improvement Act West Bow was a steep Z-shaped street which climbed from the Grassmarket to Upper Bow at the foot of Castlehill. Most of the old buildings in West Bow were swept away to make room for the northern side of Victoria Street, built to link the Grassmarket with the new George IV Bridge. Before their demolition, Thomas Hamilton, the architect for the scheme, made careful elevational drawings of the buildings. As Hamilton's drawing shows, the first five houses at the lower end of the street on the W remain.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.