This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9782 / 55°58'41"N
Longitude: -3.2028 / 3°12'10"W
OS Eastings: 325037
OS Northings: 676785
OS Grid: NT250767
Mapcode National: GBR 8L4.QH
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.SZ1Y
Entry Name: 24 York Road, Gothic House, with Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 370730
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29998
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1820. 2 storey 3-bay Tudor gothic house, with pinnacled porch and projecting windows; later alterations and extensions. Smooth pale ashlar to front, coursed rubble to sides and rear. Base course; crenellated parapets; gabletted pinnacles; gablet-coped skews. Tudor-arched lights with timber mullions to principal elevation.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance in Tudor-arched porch with crenellated parapet, flanked by square tourelles, rising to octagonal ball-finialled pinnacles; lancet windows with stained glass in returns of porch; timber panelled door with flanked by narrow rectangular windows; 2-light window in moulded surround to 1st floor, flanked by gabletted and finialled pinnacles, linked by crenellated parapet. Projecting 3-light windows at ground floor in side bays, flanked by diagonally-set gabletted and finialled pinnacles, linked by crenellated parapets; 2-light windows in moulded surrounds in wallhead gables above; gabled skews with ball finials on diagonally-set square section pedestals to gables. Gabletted and finialled square section pinnacles rising from ground clasp outer corners.
N AND S (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: windows in moulded surrounds, blind at 1st floor. Crow-stepped gables. Square section gabletted and finialled pinnacles at corners. Single storey pitched roofed building to N with timber Gothic windows. Single storey pitched-roofed stone building with stop-chamfered corners and pointed-arched opening adapted to garage to SE.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 bays, stepped left to right. 2-light windows with stone mullions to ground and 1st floor in left bay. Small window to ground, tall window with timber Gothic astragals at 1st floor in centre bay. Single windows to ground and 1st in right bay. Projecting wing to right much altered and extended.
INTERIORS: interesting plaster-work, chimney-pieces, stained glass etc.
Small-pane lying-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Diagonally-set square section slender coped ashlar stacks with octagonal cans.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: ashlar-coped rubble wall to front. 2 sets of octagonal-section gatepiers with conical caps.
Built in the 1st phase of feuing by the lawyer Alexander Scott of the lands of Trinity Mains farm. The intended feuing is shown on Kirkwood's map of 1817. A plan of 1838 (NMRS DC 6572&3) indicates that Gothic House belonged to Mr Scott himself.
Other nearby listed buildings