This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.979 / 55°58'44"N
Longitude: -3.2021 / 3°12'7"W
OS Eastings: 325084
OS Northings: 676874
OS Grid: NT250768
Mapcode National: GBR 8L4.W6
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.SZCB
Entry Name: 46 Laverockbank Road, Strathavon Lodge with Ancillary Structure, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 12 December 1974
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 370912
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30131
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
Original house at N, between 1804 and 1817; considerably extended to S, probably early 1850's, and again later in century. 3-bay house, 2 storeys to S, 3 stories to N. Coursed stugged ashlar to S, coursed rubble to N, random and coursed rubble to sides; droved ashlar quoins. Projecting base course and eaves cornice to S. Dividing band between ground and 1st floors and between 1st and 2nd floors to N. Moulded surrounds to windows.
S ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated. Entrance in centre bay; timber panelled door with plate glass fanlight in corniced surround with Doric pilasters.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: random/coursed rubble shows extent of original house.
N ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated. Entrance in centre bay; timber door with 6-pane fanlight and flanking narrow windows. Decorative cast-iron balconies to 1st floor windows.; cornice on consoles over centre window. Bracketed projecting cills to 2nd floor windows; pediments breaking eaves to outer windows. Modern timber belvedere to attic.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: remains of ancillary structure to SW (coach-house and stable); stugged sandstone with dressed quoins. High random rubble boundary walls topped with clinker. Tall ashlar gatepiers with chamfered corners, base courses and corniced pyramidal caps.
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced coursed rubble stacks with decorative octagonal cans.
Strathavon Lodge (known then as Viewbank) was the rural retreat of Sir James Young Simpson (whose town residence and medical practice were at 52 Queen Street), who recommended Trinity for the beneficial effects of sea and country air, promoting the development of the area. According to Wallace, Simpson liked to retire to Trinity for 'tea, an egg and a sunset' after a busy day in Edinburgh. The sunken area of grass to the north of the house is said to have been his bowling green. Simpson is buried in Warriston Cemetery.
Donald Smith Peddie, the elder brother of the architect John Dick Peddie, is listed in the Post Office Directory for 1851 as living in Viewbank, Trinity. North Trinity House (114 Trinity Road) was built by John Dick Peddie for Donald Smith Peddie in 1858, and it is possible that Peddie was also responsible for the alterations to Strathavon Lodge.
Other nearby listed buildings