This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9464 / 55°56'46"N
Longitude: -3.2485 / 3°14'54"W
OS Eastings: 322123
OS Northings: 673296
OS Grid: NT221732
Mapcode National: GBR 89H.GW
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.2SCT
Entry Name: 11 Ellersly Road, Westerlea House (Capability Scotland), Including Gardens
Listing Date: 27 January 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 371089
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30275
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Traditional County: Midlothian
Campbell Douglas and J J Stevenson, 1860-9; Robert Lorimer remodelled house and designed new garden, 1913; later alterations. Jacobean dwelling house converted in mid-20th century into school for disabled children.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: large porte-cochere with ground balustrade and ball finials to entrance; modern extension at ground behind with gabled dormer windows above. 3-storey, 3-bay section to left; single windows in outer bays at ground; single windows at 1st floor; single window in central bay at 2nd floor surmounted by carving; gable decorated with 5 finials. 6 small pane windows in section to left.
E ELEVATION: adjoining building
S ELEVATION: 2-storey, 5-bay main block. Single storey canted bay in centre with 4 lights; single gabled dormer above; single windows at ground floor and gabled dormers flanking at left and right. Projecting section to right; 2-storey canted bay with 4 lights; parapet crowned with ball finials; gable head decorated with ball finials. 2-storey canted bay at left; parapet crowned with ball finials. Extension with round arched windows to left; modern extension too.
W ELEVATION: adjoining building.
Variety of small pane and leaded glazing patterns. Grey slate roof; straight skews; tall, corniced stacks.
INTERIOR: remodelled for school use and wheelchair access but a lot of the original interior survives. ? timber panelled stair hall; coffered ceiling to hall with egg and dart and dentilled cornices and scrolled brackets decorated with shells; loggia of 3 arches lead to stair well; arch motif continued to stair well; timber architrave to elevator with fluted pilaster strips. Canted bay in SE classroom timber panelled; area framed by pilaster strips and foliate scrolled brackets; staff-room above has coved ceiling with coffers; circular recesses in centre of coffers, both have decorative borders. Naturalistic cornices and brackets to most of the larger rooms.
GARDEN: N terrace wall running E to W with central stair and ramp. Statue of Girl by Pilkington Jackson stands within rubble circle surrounded by a round box hedge in W end of garden. Topiary trees run along S edge of garden.
B-Group with 5 Ellersly Road. Built by Glasgow architects, Campbell Douglas and J J Stevenson. Westerlea House was bought by the British Red Cross in December 1947 for the 'Welfare of Spastics' and the building is now a school run by Capability Scotland.
A statue group by Charles Mackie previously stood at the E end of the garden but this has now been moved to the National Museums of Scotland in Chambers Street, Edinburgh. It is the only known sculpture by this artist.
Other nearby listed buildings