This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9097 / 55°54'35"N
Longitude: -3.1559 / 3°9'21"W
OS Eastings: 327839
OS Northings: 669119
OS Grid: NT278691
Mapcode National: GBR 8XY.70
Mapcode Global: WH6ST.HQFD
Entry Name: 85 Lasswade Road and 1-8 (Inclusive Nos) "Mount Alvernia", Former Convent of the Poor Clares Collettines, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 26 August 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 371134
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30303
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Liberton/Gilmerton
Traditional County: Midlothian
A E Purdie, 1896; additions circa 1930. 2-storey, L-plan conventual buildings, including chapel; additional 1930s wing forming U-plan; single storey ranges forming enclosed cloister. Squared and snecked sandstone with bull-faced long and short quoins; polished dressings. Cusped windows to 1896 buildings.
W (CHAPEL) RANGE: 2-storey chapel with steep-pitched roof; accommodation wing adjoining to S. Chapel: birdcage bellcote to S gablehead; carved stone crucifix to N gablehead; hoodmoulded bipartite windows at 1st floor level; rose window to N gable; hoodmoulded pointed-arched window to S gable. Hoodmoulded bipartite windows to both floors of accommodation wing.
N RANGE: regularly disposed single windows to both floors; boarded door. E (1930) RANGE: single storey lean-to range with round-arched windows to inner court; bipartite windows at rendered 1st floor. Irregular disposition of windows to rendered E elevation. Variety of fixed lying-pane and leaded windows, and small-pane sash and case windows. Grey and grey-purple slate roofs; heavy coping to ridge and gablehead stacks of 1896 buildings; terracotta ridging; gabletted skewputts to chapel; coped and rendered stacks to 1930s wing; decorative wrought-iron finials.
INTERIOR: vaulted chapel now subdivided into 2, each containing marble and plaster crocketted reredos; hoodmoulded doorways; boarded doors with iron fixtures; leaded glass windows with blue stained galss borders. Plain corridors and rooms; decorative radiator to main corridor; turned timber balusters.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: coped gatepiers; high coped boundary wall to street.
Ecclesiastical buildings (RC), no longer in use as such. The convent became newsworthy in 1938 after the expulsion of 5 extern sisters. A E Purdie of Canterbury was also responsible for Our Lady of Loretto & St Michael (RC), Musselburgh (1903).
Other nearby listed buildings