This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9999 / 55°59'59"N
Longitude: -3.7856 / 3°47'8"W
OS Eastings: 288739
OS Northings: 679985
OS Grid: NS887799
Mapcode National: GBR 1K.TTSH
Mapcode Global: WH5QZ.TGJ8
Entry Name: Parish Church Churchyard
Listing Date: 25 October 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 372376
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31168
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Falkirk South
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Notable small collection of monuments comprising chiefly:-
a) Sir John de Graham killed at Battle of Falkirk 1298.
Rebuilt by William Graham of Airth 1773; again renewed and
ornamented 1860, gothic ironwork with arched crown top of
that date. Composite monument with wasted mediaeval effigy
and other earlier fragments.
b) Sir John Stewart of Bunkle (?) 13th century slab with early
19th century superscription;
c) Rev Robert Callander (+1686) slab with armorial details;
d) Gib table tomb, 1636 and 1773;
e) Murehead Monument (+1723) arched recess with effigies,
elaborate cartouche flanked by twisted columns with segmental
pediment, cherubs and acorn finial above.
f) Robert Monro of Foulis 1848, plinth and Sarcophagus with
g) Men of Bute Memorial Celtic Cross 1877 erected by Marquess
of Bute to those killed 1298.
h) Burial vault at NW corner. Small rubble-built, door and
pediment with obliterated inscription pane at south end,
slated roof piended at north end.
Stones not regarded as of historical or artistic merit
Other nearby listed buildings