History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lint Riggs, East Side (Odd Nos) 32-34 High Street and New Market Bar Newmarket Street

A Category B Listed Building in Falkirk, Falkirk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56 / 55°59'59"N

Longitude: -3.7864 / 3°47'11"W

OS Eastings: 288687

OS Northings: 679998

OS Grid: NS886799

Mapcode National: GBR 1K.TTL0

Mapcode Global: WH5QZ.TG46

Entry Name: Lint Riggs, East Side (Odd Nos) 32-34 High Street and New Market Bar Newmarket Street

Listing Date: 25 October 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 372413

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31197

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Falkirk

County: Falkirk

Town: Falkirk

Electoral Ward: Falkirk South

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Find accommodation in
Falkirk

Description

1903-06. Three-storeys, Free Renaissance treatment, ashlar, ground floor shops.

End sections by A and W Black, with shallow two-storey, three-light oriel windows rising from shopfronts cornice. Corner turrets corbelled out at first floor. The northwest corner turret has a cornice with carved panels of a shamrock, thistle and rose and is topped by a ogee-dome and cupola.

Central section (Nos. 5-15) is a Masonic Hall, designed by Thomas Copland. End bays flanked by giant Ionic pilasters, centre bay with fluted Corinthian columns topped by open segmental pediment with a urn finial. Tympanum carved with masonic symbols. Gibbsian surrounds to the windows. Those to the centre and end bays have pediments, the other windows are corniced with cartouches dated 1876 and 1906.

Statement of Interest

Planned by David Ronald, Burgh Engineer, in 1903 (perspective by Alexander McGibbon in Burgh Engineer s office). A and W Black following the elevations prescribed in 1903. The Corinthian masonic hall section, by Thomas Copland, at Nos. 5-15 is a departure from the original design. The cartouches above the windows are dated 1876 (for the foundation of the lodge) and 1906 (for the completion of the building). It was built for Lodge Callendar No 588, the second lodge of freemasons to be established in the town.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.